New owner, will open a pool soon.

Newcat

Apr 30, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Hi, everyone,
We just bought a short sale house. The pool probably is not used for two years. I just opened the cover. Water doesn't look too bad. Clear, but a little green (at least I can see the bottom). However, there are a lot of stuffs on the bottom. I never own a pool. So, there are lot of things to learn. In skimmer, there is a pipe stick out. Is this for vacuum? How can I remove it to put skimmer basket in? When I turn on the pump, should I just vacuum the pool bottom stuffs to drain first,or just let filter take care that? Should I shock the pool until I clean up the pool or shock then clean? I saw a test kit (Taylor K-2105) in pool room from previous owner. Do I need buy all new solutions or old solutions are still ok? Sorry, too many questions. Thanks.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Most of your questions regarding the chemistry (although you have not asked yet ;) ) can be found by reading Pool School (button at the upper right). This will be a lot of information, but after reading it a few times, things should start to stick ... and we are here to answer questions.

Generally it is a good idea to get new testing reagents every few years. Also, that kit does not contain the most important test, the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Order one of the kits we recommend (see link in my signature) ... the TF100 is the better valve, although new members tend to not listen to this advice and then run out of some of the reagents quickly and then have to order more and wait ... we can only make recommendations :)

Order the kit as soon as you can and then post a full set of results.

In the meantime, read Pool School and see if all the equipment is working.

I am not sure what the stick in the skimmer is ... it could be something for winterizing and should likely unscrew.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.