need help with green pool

Apr 3, 2013
Hello everyone, I purchased a foreclosure home that has a pool (I think) in the backyard. All equipment was takeout but bank put in a filter and pump for me. Pool was uncover and didn’t run for over a year. I am first time pool owner and attempt to get this thing up and going.
Pass weekend collect most of leave and drain half of the water, refill the pool with tap water and shock pool with 12lb of chorine, water was milky white. When I start the pump everything was working, however flow slowdown so check the filter and pressure was above 35 PSI, clean filter and run another 15 minutes and flow slowdown again and pressure was back to above 35 psi… I probably clean filter more than 30 times already, but not improving. I assume water has too much particle for filter. is there something I can do settle particle to the bottom of pool so I can try to vacuum the floors?
Any help would be appreciated.
My spec of pool from Leslie’s test
Estimated 8000 gallon
FC -4 (add 2 gallons of bleach last night)
TC -4 (add 2 gallons of bleach last night)
CH-200
CYA-60
TA-90
PH-7

New Pump is Pentair 1hp chanllenger
new filter is Pentair clean and clear 75 SQ
I also order TF-100 test kit.

Attachments

• IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 47
Welcome! Great first post - we love pictures!

The problem as I see it is that the algae keeps reproducing, so as soon as you filter some out, more grows to replace it, and the filter continuously clogs. It's going to keep doing that until you get ahead of the algae growth via the shock process. You need to kill it off faster than it grows. A lot faster. I trust you've read pool school, because you know enough to drag out the debris and lower the CYA.

The shock level for that CYA (Those are your numbers from your own TF100, right?) is 18. So you'll need to keep dumping bleach in until FC = 18 and then recheck it and add more to keep it above 18 until it clears. Don't use any more powdered chlorine, you'll mess up what are otherwise decent chemical readings. Use liquid bleach. Reread How to perform the shock process in Pool School a few times.

I wouldn't think that 15 minutes of run time would be enough to raise filter pressure that much. Are you sure you're done scooping out as much as possible? Is the skimmer basket clean? Is the pump strainer basket clean? If so, I'd start to suspect a clogged line maybe. And what Richard said above.^^^^^^

welcome to TFP!

Richard320 said:
Welcome! Great first post - we love pictures!

The problem as I see it is that the algae keeps reproducing, so as soon as you filter some out, more grows to replace it, and the filter continuously clogs. It's going to keep doing that until you get ahead of the algae growth via the shock process. You need to kill it off faster than it grows. A lot faster. I trust you've read pool school, because you know enough to drag out the debris and lower the CYA.

The shock level for that CYA (Those are your numbers from your own TF100, right?) is 18. So you'll need to keep dumping bleach in until FC = 18 and then recheck it and add more to keep it above 18 until it clears. Don't use any more powdered chlorine, you'll mess up what are otherwise decent chemical readings. Use liquid bleach. Reread How to perform the shock process in Pool School a few times.

test was done by Leslie's and have order tf100 but has not came in yet... i'll keep dump more bleach (not powder)and take it to Leslie's untill my test kit come in

woodyp said:
I wouldn't think that 15 minutes of run time would be enough to raise filter pressure that much. Are you sure you're done scooping out as much as possible? Is the skimmer basket clean? Is the pump strainer basket clean? If so, I'd start to suspect a clogged line maybe. And what Richard said above.^^^^^^

welcome to TFP!

i got most of large stuff out but can't get fine stuff, checked both basket and both had little but not much. i ran pump without the cartridge and pressure is normal so i would think nothing is clogged up, i hope.

thank you both for quick reply and welcome..

That's what my pool looked like on sunday now it looks like this
DSCF0661_zps14c8d3af.jpg
[/url][/img]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.