Heavy use on beach rental pools..like to avoid salt water cl

etbrown4

Feb 24, 2012
Just getting started with a fresh tap water refill this year on a gunnite pool.

Trying to figure out the optimal plan for adding chlorine. I posted something similar yesterday on the algae topic, though the main suggestion there seemed salt water chlorine, and I'd rather not go that way :)

The challenge is the pool is a beach vacation rental with a very heavy swimmer load. In the past my pool guy mostly used pucks and as expected the cya goes sky high....followed by algae

Curious if any pros, in working with high use, beach rental pools, have had success with combination approaches like:
A) 1/2 pucks and 1/2 cal-hypo ....or
B) 1/2 pucks and 1/2 12% liquid bleach ...or
C) all 12% liquid bleach administered just TWICE weekly, (as opposed to using an injection pump)

We know we need to keep the cya, and calcium in balance (among others) and just trying to see what others have found to work with very high swimmer loads.

Suggestions and shared experiences, much appreciated!

Re: Heavy use on beach rental pools..like to avoid salt wate

The arguments pro/con for the different forms of chlorine to use with the pool are exactly the same with normal or high bather load, except that you will be using more chlorine total, so the magnitude of the cons is rather larger. As before the two preferred solutions are a SWG or a liquid chlorine dosing pump. It isn't clear to me why you have already dismissed those two possibilities. Those two are your only plausible choices in this situation.

With high bather load day after day you will also want to consider getting either ozone or UV. Heavy bother load leads to higher oxidation load relative to the sanitizing load, so an auxiliary source of oxidation, like ozone or UV can really help. Another alternative is adding MPS regularly, but that requires manual dosing so is more work and tends to be more expensive in the long run.

Thanks for the responses.

I know that one option is the 12% liquid bleach alone. As a practical matter, with the very high bather load, in warm months we have to keep Fc above 10, as if you don't, with these loads, you'll suddenly find you have 0 Fc the next day or two.

Curious if anyone has tried adding 12% bleach twice per week, instead of though a pump. Just not sure if allowing 3-4 days between pool servicing, would allow the FC to drop too far....again with the super high bather loads.

So all the mountain cabin rentals I've been over the years have hot tubs. Some of the best cabins have simple concise instructions plaques mounted around. Some of the plaques...

Edit: Forgot about this thread from last summer....nice sign!
proudly-offers-a-chlorine-free-pool-t51201.html

Main Water Shut Off in this Closet.
Fire Extinguisher under sink.
Please Leave thermostat on 68 when you check out.
Add two chlorine tabs to hot tub floater daily.

So my point is, if your only options are manual dosing, you need to either get more pool service people out there, like daily. Or involve your quests in the addition of chems. And then drain out water and replace when your CYA/CH gets to high.

The question is what would the vacationers think about it? This would have to be like a large floater they can refill. I can see two trains of thought.....I paid how much to have to do this, you'd think this nice of place would have automation.......or......Since we have to add chems daily i know the pool is clean......

etbrown4 said:
Curious if anyone has tried adding 12% bleach twice per week, instead of though a pump. Just not sure if allowing 3-4 days between pool servicing, would allow the FC to drop too far....again with the super high bather loads.
That doesn't work, especially with high bather loads. With low bather loads and a little luck you can push it to every other day, but at high bather loads even every other day fails.

Has anyone seen a combination like this work with high bather loads?........

Enough liquid bleach twice per week to bring the Fc up to maybe 15 or 20 just after it is added. And supplement this with enough pucks to keep the FC up until the next service 3-4 days later?

It would seem that since the liquid bleach does not affect cya or CH, then that's all good, and can't the pucks keep the FC up in the interim?

Just Asking....... :)

Keep in mind that your high FC is going to drop very quickly. Even if you brought it up to 50, it would still drop off very quickly within a couple of days. Your reasons here, minus the heavy bather load, are EXACTLY why I went to SWG.

etbrown4 said:
Has anyone seen a combination like this work with high bather loads?........

Enough liquid bleach twice per week to bring the Fc up to maybe 15 or 20 just after it is added. And supplement this with enough pucks to keep the FC up until the next service 3-4 days later?

It would seem that since the liquid bleach does not affect cya or CH, then that's all good, and can't the pucks keep the FC up in the interim?

Just Asking....... :)

The more bleach you have, the more that gets destroyed by the sun. A pump only costs around $250 for the tank, pump and parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.