Solar Cover: On or off during the day with solar panels?

Apr 16, 2013
I know the importance of keeping the solar cover on at night to retain as much of the heat as possible that was gained during the day. However, I've heard 2 differing opinions about whether or not to keep the cover on during a "warmer" sunny spring day (65-75 degrees).
We always take it off during the warm summer months.

My feeling is that as long as it's not windy out, the rays of the sun will penetrate deep into your pool and help warm up the water better than it would if the cover was on but others feel that if the outside air is cooler than the pool temp, leaving the cover on will result in warmer water. My wife & I share opposing opinions on this and, since it takes both of us to put the cover on & off, you can imagine the back & forth debate as to whether it should be on or off.
Any fact based opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

What color is your cover?

We had a clear cover last year and it didn't make any difference in the heating from the sun whether it was on or off. It did, however, make a difference in the amount of heat lost both day and night. Ours stayed on all the time except when we were in the pool. Opaque covers may be different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.