solar pumping options

Apr 4, 2007
Livermore, CA
I'm buying a new pool (with a house thrown in for free) and I've run into a conundrum. All of the 'prime' roof space on the house will be dedicated to PV (electric) solar, so I've got some challenges in heating the pool as well. There is some roof space on the detached garage that may work well, but it's on the far side of the yard from the pumping station.

I'm attaching a handy pic for reference (thank you google, oh all knowing eye in the sky).

So I'm looking for some advice from the experts here... Would it be feasible to pipe that far? I assume we'd have to run along the whole north and west fence-lines to get there.

Alternately, would adding a small solar only pump behind the garage (with dedicated suction and return) be easier, or is putting piping into an existing pool an expensive proposition?

I've also considered having some of the PV on the garage, but was told the electrical work to do so would be very $$$.

And my last consideration was that I could see about adding a few more PV panels, maybe bump it up from 8-9Kw, and putting in an electric a heat pump. Sort of an inefficient way to heat a pool with solar, but if I do *all* of my pool pumping and heating at night my $/kw drops to 1/3rd of daytime prices (10 cents vs 32 cents).

Attachments

• treadwell solar plan.png
    treadwell solar plan.png
    464.8 KB · Views: 113
I assume that you have some type of privacy fence located just north of the pool, have you considered a vertical installation along the fence like the example shown on this page http://www.heliocol.com/heliocol-is/our-products (fence photo not linkable)

Ike

ps correction here is a photo
site-visit3.jpg

If you oversized the pipes, I think you could move enough water from the equipment to the other roof, but will lose some heat having to travel so far.

It is not impossible to add holes in the pool. I had an autofill added to mine, but that was during a resurfacing. Sure would be nice if you could add a drain and return on the side closer to the garage and add a pump there.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

If it were me I would certainly look into adding a second solar only pump and associated plumbing near the garage, which would be cheaper is harder to say, but I can tell you that you would have more heat loss running the plumbing all the way back to your current pump. Is there a reason not to add panels to the 200 sq ft east of the 200 sq ft west facing location, that is other than the relatively lower output from east facing panels? Also do you know the surface area of your pool, when considering pool heating surface area matters more than volume because most cooling is by evaporation.

Ike

p.s. if you do add a second pump, you will want to supply it from one of the existing filtered water return lines if possible or also add another filter otherwise debris from the intake will likely clog the small passages in the solar panels over time. (You should consider simply looping into one of the existing returns if there are any on the garage side of the pool)

p.p.s. this online map has a drawing tool that will let you draw lines with measured distance and polygons with area in your choice of units, try aerial view and click on paint tool then the drafting square then back to draw to draw your distance / areas

http://lagic03.lsu.edu/explore/index.html

The pool is roughly 525 sqft in surface area. I have nothing against putting panels on the east facing portion of the roof as well - just a matter of diminishing returns.

Honestly though, this is all starting to sound like way too much of a hassle. For a secondary pump I'll need another filter, more electrical run over to the garage, and concrete cutting... Starting to sound like a bigger PV system and a heat pump may be the cheaper/easier option

Could a second pump be used with suction and retrun lines routed on or near surface?

Since the purpose is simply to pick up heat and not to circulate the water, there would need be only enough separation to avoid confusing the water (turbulence).
Even burying the lines bring them up only at pools edge, it has to be much cheaper than punching new holes. Brackets could secure pipes to pool sides to prevent damage or motion.

Just a thought...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.