borax/washing soda difference????

Jul 14, 2012
Cleveland, OH
so i found this http://www.soapgoods.com/20-Mule-Team-Borax-p-969.html?osCsid=f6fb130f40495f816cd41687766582a5

and then this http://www.soapgoods.com/Washing-Soda-Soda-Ash-Light-p-716.html

i guess my question is what is better? per pound the washing soda seems like the better buy. also on the simplepool app when it gives you advice on what to add to adjust the amount of ph, borax is nearly double the amount of washing soda. am i missing something?

is the washing soda something completely different than what is used for pools?

thanks for any help folks.

While both products raise the PH, Borax and washing soda/soda ash are two different chemicals that have somewhat different effects on the water.

Borax raises the PH a lot, the TA hardly at all, and the Borate level a little.
Washing soda/soda ash also raise the PH a lot but raise the TA a fair bit, and do not affect the borate level.

For PH adjustments where you also want to raise the TA, typically in situations where the PH tends to go down on it's own, washing soda/soda ash is a better deal. But for situations where you are trying to keep the TA level down as much as practical while raising PH, borax has an advantage.

JohnN said:
I see you have a Chlorine feeder. Are you using that? If so, that is why you are having to constantly raise your pH. Also if you are using it, your CYA is probably very high.

john i am actually going to start the BBB method this summer.

i got a test kit and was tinkering last summer.

so using the BBB method i shouldn't use tabs or cal-hypo, just bleach right? it seems like that i would be buying bleach alot and that it might get costly. haven't crunched number yet.

also in the past i would use clarifier and algaecide to aid in keeping the pool clear. i guess all that adds up when not doing BBB though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.