A pool story - Now with pics, and a short vid!

dafuzz

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2013
North Florida
Ahoy!

Story time at da fuzz plantation....

I have a pool!

It came with an awesome home with almost an acre; I got a great deal on it, I'm still waiting for Tallahassee PD to come arrest me thinking I stole it! :)

I moved to North Florida, not knowing many people, other than a close relative who needed me. Back where I'm from, I seemed to know someone who either knew it all or knew those who did, I was networked to the hilt. Here? No. Ugh. Anywhoo,

The pool was beautiful blue and clear when I acquired the home, a few years ago. The pool company the previous owner used put a Loop Loc cover on it, and assured me it would be fine. Ahem. I had lots of things to sort out, and didn't move into the home for a year and a half or so. The prior owner, who shall be referred to as Dr. Something, was in his 80's when he moved out. He swam year round in the nude, or so the neighbors said, and ran the pool heater year round as well. The Natural Gas history on the home shows this. Every morning, every evening, rain, shine, cold. He and his wife, Mrs. Doc, were very fond of the sticky vines and overgrowth for privacy, large hedges, several pet graveyards, walking paths long grown over, and trees. Lots of trees! Story goes that the Missus didn't care for the college kids in the hood, and put all sorts of trip hazards, barb wire loops, critter holes hidden like punji spikes in random locations all over. It is like an archaeological dig 'round here.

The pool had been kept up by a local company for 30+ years, and "was" on a very wooded lot. It was so wooded that the pool company owner basically told me he didn't want to deal with it any longer. Dude was a real tool. So I figured someone would want my business, I hadn't ever had to care for a pool before, and had always believed most everyone used a pool boy in a speedo or girl in string bikini. I myself was hoping for a pool girl in a string bikini, the missus mentioned "pool boy", this is a college town I live in now after-all, but I digress....

I now have a hole in the ground!

So out of sight, out of mind. I had a yard guy caring for the outside for a year or so. I asked him to look in the pool for me. He said it was gross, and that there was water and leaves in the cover, and that he'd already drained it off some. I asked him to drain the cover and get rid of the leaves for me again. fast forward A few months later, I visit and see that the pool is about half full, with leaves in it, the cover pulled back at three corners, with the liner collapsing in on itself. I can't get a straight answer from my yard guy, but I'm thinking he drained the pool, natch. (turns out he didn't, more on that later)

Fast forward again about 6 months, I pull the trigger and moved here from Central Florida, land of the Mouse House. I'd lived in the same county my whole life, 40+ years, where there were two weather patterns. Hot or Cold, where anything below 60 was freezing. And at about 3:45pm each day during the summer, you knew it was going to rain. After that, it got to where you could cut the humidity with a knife. North Florida is nothing like down South. And the trees.....wow. I hadn't had a fireplace or a pool. Now I have both. Up here the weather is rather schizophrenic. Seriously. It's whacked out.

I called 8 pool companies shortly after I moved in, about February 2012. 4 came out (including previous jackwagon who didn't want my business) to look at the pool in order to quote me a liner replacement. 2 quoted over the phone (how?) and 2 didn't show. None would re-stretch the old liner, especially with the suspicious water draining. I got busy, didn't want to spend the money, got busier, spent my pool budget on other things, and decided after all that wrangling that I was going to need to work on the property and landscape before entertaining fixing the pool. So it sat. And wept. And cried out literally with unceasing frogs....saying FIX ME FIX ME. Every night! And a small fortune in mosquito dunks that donut work.

Fast forward about a year from the last fast forward. 40 trees taken down, 3 large dangerous water oaks, a hickory tree, a sweet gum, most of the rest invasive weedish trees or unchecked hedges that were roughly 40' tall. Some of them the popcorn style hedges I read a thread about somewhere -------> way in the bowels of the forums... (Anyone have a log splitter I can borrow near Leon County?) I also have a huge Live Oak tree overhanging the pool, it got a haircut and some <3 too. Hired some pro's with climbing skills to drop the big stuff, made fast friends with a guy who owns a BBQ Shack who traded BBQ sammitches for some nice fresh hickory and oak, and by the time I was near done, the pool got sun for most of the day, with a reasonably clear field of fire to repel the evil bulk of leaves. While toting limbs to the street, drenched, I looked at the pool longing for crystal clear refreshing goodness that is a well cared for swimming pool. More toting limbs, more sweating, more dreaming. I couldn't take it any longer. Shower, then hit the internetz.

I started over again with the pool renovator search, with this time seeking out someone that would put in concrete steps under the liner. Settled on a guy who was by far the most confident in what I desired, who had the time and skill to do what needed to be done. It wasn't his sales pitch, of which I heard a few, but this guy was talking confident, yet not cocky like others. It really does make a difference. I turned him on to TFP, he's going to do the borates thing, hi Glynn!

Fast forward 5 weeks. The old Hayward pump is dead. What do I know? There was another pump that worked just fine. Except, it was for a Polaris 280 that needed a new hose, bearings, and I could get a close replacement for the same money it would take to rebuild. So I buy a Pentair Intelliflo VS and utilized the double rebate. I'm filling a pool and re-plumbing. It took a total of 38 hours off and on. The bags of pool salt to keep the liner in place around the steps while filling have dissipated into the pool. I'm thinking this is less salt I'm going to have to add later for when I get a SWG. The liner that was chosen is starting to look bluish green, gorgeous! Life is good. Until I realized I have to spend even more money on chemicals.

During the renovation, it was discovered that the plug that seals the bottom hole in the main drain had a crack in it. This is why it was leaking. I had found a vinyl repair kit in the utility room. Some meathead, apparently the pool service, had stuck one of those expanding rubber thingies in the drain pipe rendering the drain useless, which I could understand, what couldn't be understood was the copious amounts of silicone like substance under the drain cover that was dislodged, it was just floating there. Dolts. The Pentair pool light was also holding water, so I'll have to get a new one of those with a pretty light show.

So, I start researching, and found TFP right away. I'm ADHD to the max, with a touch of OCD at times, so I started in the deep end of pool research. Read and re-read Pool School, did many topic searches, and made some decisions. Decided for sure I wanted SWG, and that I was going to do the borates, was going to have a robot, and and and.....well. I ordered my TF100 (XL) with Salt and Borate Strips as the pool had just gotten full. Took pool water to the various pool stores in my area. (Yea, I'll make a Sam's trip because it's near the PaPenny on that side of town, I'll go to Ace Hardware, it's near the other PaPenny etc.) I scolded my builder inappropriately (Hi Glynn!) because my CYA was too low along with my CH and my TA was too high, and when was my SWG gonna get here because no one seems to stock the 60k gallon system I need....well. Turns out I should have just waited till the initial fill and chemical additions took root in the system, as my CYA is now borderline high sorta and my CH is definitely high, so patience is required. Mayhap all you gurus here should sticky a "have patience" thread for many things, excepting FC level? I digress, yet again.

As an aside, now that I'm better versed with testing and the like, I count the drops at the Pool Store, saves my reagent particularly the TA test :wink:

SO, after thoroughly chastising myself by flogging :whip: and withholding meals, I've chilled out on some things. Except for testing, I've resolved to make sure that the pool stays balanced. At no point since fill has the water been less than clear. I built a couple aeration devices to assist me with my TA journey, which are quite fun to play with. I'm thinking that I'll be exceedingly sad once I add borates and the PH drift isn't as bad. I've had to get my TA down from 200 to below 70ish for Borates. MA, aerate, test, when PH is up again, MA, rinse repeat. I still don't have my SWG, it is on backorder. I've been running to the pool store, paying $4.75 for 2 gallons of 12% Chlorine. I'm too stubborn to buy more than one yellow container, hoping I won't ever need it. Ahem. Oh, I forgot to add. remember that polaris pump? It makes a WONDERFUL aerator. City Water has plenty of TA, I tested. They don't care, either. Salt acquired at a bargain, poolcalculator.com was spot on, adding on top of the salt from the install brought me just under 3000ppm as planned.

I bought a robot, it's a wall climber, and he's my buddy now. Correction, she. SHE does one heckuva job on the oak pollen squiggly thingies that coat everything outdoors up to 2" for a few weeks. Figured out she has two settings, one that is a green light speedy clean, where she does wheelies when full and lasts an hour, and a red setting where she shuts off after 3 hours. Not scrutinizing directions at first, as I'm a guy, I figured green was GO and red was STOP. All is right in the world, now. Set her on red when she needs it, voila. She comes out after use, and I'm amazed and the crud she gets out of the pool. And it stinks. Yech.

I suppose you guys want pool pr0n in the form of pictures. I'll need to organize some and post em up. I'm still not quite done with the privacy fencing, which is sort of necessary, as I've laid waste to much of the shielding vegetation.

But for now, after all the self-created, situational, histrionic, vegetative tree drama, here's my numbers. 110lbs of Boric Acid will be here day after tomorrow. Yea, I know I only need 75lbs or so. I'm not a hoarder, really!

• PH: 7.5
    FC: 3.5
    CC: 0
    TC: 3.5
    CYA: 50
    CH: 350
    TA: 60
    Salt:2930
    Borates:0

I'm sure there is more to follow.

Cheers! :cheers:

Re: A pool story

Nice post! I love it when folks get educated before asking a million questions. Now we just need you to post more.

I know you know that with your liner your CH number is not the end of the world, but i also know you know that it can cause problems in a liner pool at high levels. So what i don't know is why i even wrote that since you already know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

I'd like to see your homemade aerator. I want to make some PVC water cannons that run of my polaris for my kids to battle with....

harleysilo said:
Nice post! I love it when folks get educated before asking a million questions. Now we just need you to post more.

I know you know that with your liner your CH number is not the end of the world, but i also know you know that it can cause problems in a liner pool at high levels. So what i don't know is why i even wrote that since you already know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

I'd like to see your homemade aerator. I want to make some PVC water cannons that run of my polaris for my kids to battle with....

Inconceivable!

I can easily show you pics of my homemade aerators, (yes that's plural x5) however, I change them so often that you'd get confuzzled. With that said, this is what I did.

As soon as I get stuffs uploaded to my photobucket account, I'll post linkies.

My pool is 18x36, skimmer in deep end on the 18 side, Polaris hole is roughly in the middle of a 36 side, and I have two jets in the shallow end on opposite sides of the 18.

I made three different what I shall call bottom ends, that are all glued or screwed. I only use two of the bottom ends at any one time, and one always thus far in the Polaris outlet. I don't always use a second aerator, but when I do, I unscrew the eyeball thingy and insert one of the other 1 1/2" bottom ends. Sounds kind of like a kinky Dos Equis commercial, doesn't it?

Instead of using the connector thingy for the Polaris, or a standard pool eyeball, I got 3 different 1 1/2" male adapter. Then I got a slip 1 1/2" bushing down to 3/4" female thread, and glued them together. Insert 3" or so of 3/4" pipe into a male 3/4" adapter, then glue either a 45 or 90 degree elbow. Then another piece of 3/4" PVC 3" long glued into the elbows with a 3/4" glued slip to 3/4" female adapter at the end, which still keeps you below the water. More on why later.

Here's where the top end comes in. First, stop thinking Dos Equis.

Under the water, you've got a female threaded end, either straight up and down, or at 45 degrees. I haven't had to glue beyond this, provided you fit the PVC pieces together nice and tight. Make a nipple that has a male end that's long enough to come out of the water.

You can now make various attachments with T's, 4 ways, and caps. Lots of caps. You can also increase the pressure at the ends by stepping the 3/4" pvc to 1/2". Most of the attachments I make for out of the water have a foot of pvc into a 4 way, then two capped and drilled off to the side, another 6" of pvc sparsely drilled into a T, then two 6" pieces off to the side stepped down and drilled in a "V" pattern. Instead of one row of drilled holes, make two.

Mind you, this is pretty much all in good fun. What I did was, I got 2 sticks of 3/4" and 1 stick of 1/2" PVC Sch40. About 10 each elbows of both sizes and degree, and male and female adapters of both sizes, and some slip to male and female connectors. I spent way too much money, but save your receipts, what you don't use you can return (I probably wouldn't though) as long as it isn't molested too bad or cut.

THEN comes the really fun part. Get the smallest drill bit you can find, and start drilling holes. For the daily use in the Polaris hole, my pump without the Polaris pump doesn't have lots of pressure, so I step the larger down to smaller PVC just above the water. I run my VS pump 24/7 for now, and get some aeration at 1000rpm or so. I use a larger setup for one of the shallow end jets as they seem to get much more water.

I have a beefier setup that screws into the 3/4" Polaris hole just below the water for when I run the Polaris pump for a few hours just before and after I add MA to get a head start on PH. I can't stand giving the power company money, but I really like the thought of a balanced pool, and as mentioned, I love the entertainment value as well. I've made the water shoot across the pool, down the pool with elbows, straight up, in an arc, and criss-cross. Think Redneck entertainment, akin to bug zappers and my pool robot.

I leave much of the top side unglued, so I can swap and change them up. I also made short elbow set-ups to stir the bottom as well, just rotate the PVC downwards, similar to rotating the eyeballs on the return jets to skim or stir or to get debris out of corners. Did this method when adding salt, MA, and Chlorine while brushing.

So, with all that said, I have many many set-ups. Every day, adding chems, aeration, and fun. Kills hours in the water trying to figure out the best way to do whatever you feel like. Hardest part is remembering what works best, for which hole :shock:

Anywhooo.....

dos-equis-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world1.png

I also live in T-Town! The Ace on the Parkway lets me use my own bleach containers for bleach! We got new gas can (5 gal.) as well as having 3 1gal bleach bottles. That way we are getting 8 gal of bleach at a time. I can lift the bleach bottles on my own. When they are empty I just have my hubby pour from the big can into the smaller bottles and away I go again. They even let me bring my puppy into the store and give him cookies!

The PApennys in town are BAD news! They do NOT test correctly at all. I took some water to each of the stores in town and all of them tested WAY different! The lowest cost to "fix" my pool was around $80! I KNEW my water was fine as I had just tested it and it looked WONDERFUL! I just had to see what they would say. Boy did I find out!

Those aerators look like fun! We have a bought one and the cats HATE it! They all clear the deck when it is on! LOL

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

harleysilo said:
LOL a rapper cash flash.

That is really private, at least it appears so from the pictures. Private is the best kind!

It wasn't so private, once I got the trees/shrubs/vines/thorns cleared out! That's ok, I have a solution for that.

Still very much a work in progress, and will be for some time to come.

dafuzz said:
harleysilo said:
LOL a rapper cash flash.

That is really private, at least it appears so from the pictures. Private is the best kind!

It wasn't so private, once I got the trees/shrubs/vines/thorns cleared out! That's ok, I have a solution for that.

Still very much a work in progress, and will be for some time to come.

What are you going to do?

If you are keeping the chain link, i wonder if you can buy the material that slides down in between the links to make it more private.

Z pump.

PoolReno-0004_zps8b5846d4.jpg~original

PoolReno-0033_zps9df54ab8.jpg~original

I should add here, that both myself and the pool builder forgot to re-install the filter. As in, forgot to plumb it in! HI GLYNN.

Was worth a huge belly laugh. We were days away from needing it....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.