Is there a way to increase suction for a cleaner?

jlhaz

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2007
Hello,

I just prought a pool cleaner and am trying to install it but it looks like the pressure is too low for it to work properly. I tried closing off the one valve I have at the equipment to increase the pressure, but it still doesn't look like enough pressure.

Is there anything else I can do to increase the pressure?

Thanks!

Since you are talking about increasing pressure, I assume that your cleaner is a pressure side cleaner. Is this correct?

If you have a suction side cleaner, you will want to reduce filter pressure. If you have a pressure side cleaner, you will want to increase pressure.

Also, it would be helpful to know a lot more about your set up. Equipment, plumbing size and configuration, etc.

mas985 said:
Since you are talking about increasing pressure, I assume that your cleaner is a pressure side cleaner. Is this correct?

If you have a suction side cleaner, you will want to reduce filter pressure. If you have a pressure side cleaner, you will want to increase pressure.

Also, it would be helpful to know a lot more about your set up. Equipment, plumbing size and configuration, etc.

Thank you for answering...

No, it's a suction side cleaner, a Hayward Pool Vac Ultra

I added the stats in my signature. I measured the pool plumbing, the pipes look to be 2" wide

The pressure on the sand filter is currently reading 20. The guage was just replaced recently as the old one never worked so I don't know what the regular setting should be.

Should I backwash to increase the pressure for the pool vac?

Thanks

Yes, backwashing will help the suction side. For a suction side cleaner, you want the lowest amount of filter pressure possible. Backwashing will help but you want to make sure all of the returns are open and the valves are set such that the pressure on the filter is at the lowest point. On the suction side, you want to restrict any port that is not the cleaner. So if you are running other skimmers at the same time as the cleaner, there will be less suction for the cleaner.

mas985 said:
Yes, backwashing will help the suction side. For a suction side cleaner, you want the lowest amount of filter pressure possible. Backwasking will help but you want to make sure all of the returns are open and the valves are set such that the pressure on the filter is at the lowest point. On the suction side, you want to restrict any port that is not the cleaner. So if you are running other skimmers at the same time as the cleaner, there will be less suction for the cleaner.

OK Thanks!

I brought a Vac-Mate as well. I only have 1 skimmer but it has 2 holes, 1 to the main drain. I didn't think the main drain was working but I'll block that port anyway.

I'm going to go to the store to get a longer backwash hose and try these 2 things.

Thanks, i'll let you know how it goes!

mas985 said:
Yes, backwashing will help the suction side. For a suction side cleaner, you want the lowest amount of filter pressure possible. Backwashing will help but you want to make sure all of the returns are open and the valves are set such that the pressure on the filter is at the lowest point. On the suction side, you want to restrict any port that is not the cleaner. So if you are running other skimmers at the same time as the cleaner, there will be less suction for the cleaner.

I was able to backwash, and I closed off the other port.

I also have a Vac-mate...which I adjusted according to the included pressure gage included with the cleaner.

The cleaner works for about 5 minutes or so and then stops, it's almost like it loses just enough pressure to stop.

I'm not sure where this would point to. At first I checked the cleaner and there were a coupe of big rocks stuck in it which I removed, but still the same thing happens.

And other ideas?

Thanks!

You may need to disassemble the cleaner as sometimes debris gets in the gears and forces it to stop. This is more of a problem for suction cleaners than for pressure cleaners.

Also, how does the other cleaner work?

Got it. That could be the problem. It looks like it might restrict the suction some. Does the cleaner run fine without it or do you have to use that?

mas985 said:
Got it. That could be the problem. It looks like it might restrict the suction some. Does the cleaner run fine without it or do you have to use that?

I haven't tried that yet, maybe I should to make sure it will work just fine.

Let me try that, if so then I gues i'll just have to leave in the regular skimmer and then conect the vaccuum when necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very Strange

mas985 said:

If I plug the vac directly into the skimmer, it works for about 5 mins and then stops. it's almost like it loses pressure somehow :(

I am throughly confused and about ready to give up :(

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you taken apart the cleaner to make sure that it is free of debris? No leaves, rocks etc. stuck anywhere in the gears. The cleaner is behaving as though there may be something stuck in it.

Also, make sure you have emptied the pump basket and skimmer baskets.

Otherwise, the only thing left I can think of is that you may have something stuck in the suction pipe. A drain king can be used to clear it out if that is the case.

A 1 1/2 HP pump should be more than enough power to run a suction cleaner. I have a 1 HP pump and I can run my cleaner, two skimmers and the main drain at the same time. Although the other stuff is restricted somewhat to increase the suction to the cleaner.

One more thing, what size is your plumbing pipe?

mas985 said:
Have you taken apart the cleaner to make sure that it is free of debris? No leaves, rocks etc. stuck anywhere in the gears. The cleaner is behaving as though there may be something stuck in it.

Also, make sure you have emptied the pump basket and skimmer baskets.

Otherwise, the only thing left I can think of is that you may have something stuck in the suction pipe. A drain king can be used to clear it out if that is the case.

A 1 1/2 HP pump should be more than enough power to run a suction cleaner. I have a 1 HP pump and I can run my cleaner, two skimmers and the main drain at the same time. Although the other stuff is restricted somewhat to increase the suction to the cleaner.

One more thing, what size is your plumbing pipe?

hey, Thanks for helping me troubleshoot!:

Yes, I took the cleaner out of the water, checked the bottom and the turbine to make sure it rotated properly. I can also move the neck of the cleaner both left & right with no problems.

I checked the pump basket again, it's pretty empty. Maybe I should look at a drain king. It seems like when I connect the vaccuum the pressure on the filter goes down to nearly 0 then comes back up slowly, just like if the pump basket is full.

My plumbing size is 2"

mas985 said:
Also, check the vacuum hose. That could be blocked too.

Mas,

thanks a lot for your help. I took the cleaner apart 1 more time. There was a small rock that loggged itself in there somehow, but not in the turbine. I had to shake a LOT of times to get it out. There is all sorts of Crud in my pool since I had my sand filter changed and gravel added to my backyard. I tried to take out all the oarge rocks by hand to give the cleaner a helping hand :)

Anyway, it has stopped once more but that was because it tried to pick up something I missed that was pretty large.

So far so good, its working well...now I know exactly what to look for!

I'll hook up the vac-mate later this week so I can have both skimming and vaccumming without too much trouble.

Thanks again for your help!
Thanks again for

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.