Just refilled pool

azpats

Apr 30, 2013
I just emptied, cleaned and refilled the pool. 15K gallons (I think). I get to start brand new. Reading the BBB board, I saw about not using the BBB method if I have a SWG. Well, I do. Now I'm not sure what to do to get started. Do I need to stay away from bleach, etc?

I will be adding the salt tomorrow. Should I add other things to help get it started?

Thanks in advance. I don't want to mess up my clean start.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! Where did you see not using BBB if you have a SWG?

The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you. You can certainly still use bleach with a SWG ... everyone does.

Step 1 is to post a full set of test results so we can see what you need to do.

You will certainly need to add a lot of CYA as the recommended level is 70-80ppm and tap water has 0. You should get everything balance BEFORE you turn on the SWG as the SWG will not be able to maintain FC levels until you get the CYA up (the sun will destroy the FC too quickly).

Welcome! :wave:

Get it balanced and stabilized and chlorinated the old fashioned way. When everything's good, the filter's working, the water is clear - everything - then add the salt and fire off the SWG. If the water's warm enough and you have kids, check out "Diamond Day."

Pretty much all you need to know is in

If you don't have a good test kit, order one now. And salt test strips. If you can test your water accurately and often and take care of it right then, it will be cheaper in the long run and your water will be clear and sparkly and the envy of the neighborhood all summer long.

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! Where did you see not using BBB if you have a SWG?

The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you. You can certainly still use bleach with a SWG ... everyone does.

Step 1 is to post a full set of test results so we can see what you need to do.

You will certainly need to add a lot of CYA as the recommended level is 70-80ppm and tap water has 0. You should get everything balance BEFORE you turn on the SWG as the SWG will not be able to maintain FC levels until you get the CYA up (the sun will destroy the FC too quickly).
Hi Jb

I saw the not using BBB with SWG in the 3rd post of the main thread. Now that I re-read it, its looks to be more of an opinion than a rule. So I will ignore that,

I have my good test kit coming, in the mean time, its new water, all is very low except hardness which is very high. I will go buy CYA today. How much would you start with at 15K?

Learn to use poolcalculator.com:

We know you are at 0 CYA, so I would shoot for about 50-60ppm to start to see how close you are to the correct volume of the pool ... so 7 lbs should put you around 56ppm. Eventually you will want to add another couple pounds to get to the 70-80ppm range.

Put it in a sock and tie it in front of a return jet, squeezing occasionally to help it dissolve.

Richard320 said:
Welcome! :wave:

Get it balanced and stabilized and chlorinated the old fashioned way. When everything's good, the filter's working, the water is clear - everything - then add the salt and fire off the SWG. If the water's warm enough and you have kids, check out "Diamond Day."

Pretty much all you need to know is in

If you don't have a good test kit, order one now. And salt test strips. If you can test your water accurately and often and take care of it right then, it will be cheaper in the long run and your water will be clear and sparkly and the envy of the neighborhood all summer long.

So Bring up the chlorine with bleach instead of the SWG? We can do that.

azpats said:
I have my good test kit coming, in the mean time, its new water, all is very low except hardness which is very high. I will go buy CYA today. How much would you start with at 15K?
No, no! You need to be able to figure this stuff out for yourself. :study: You don't ever want to be at the mercy of someone else telling you what to add! That's how people get pool-stored.

Pool School and http://www.poolcalculator.com/ will help you figure it out. Just go easy on the CYA. It's easy to add more if you're low, but the only way to get rid of excess is by draining and refilling.

Hi, just to add some clarity as to how one with a SWG uses bleach, I use bleach when i want to hit a target chlorine level greater than my everyday level. I do this when i am going through the process of shocking my pool. The reason is I can reach shock level in a matter of minutes vs. waiting for maybe days for my SWG to generate enough chlorine. Thus reducing wear and tear on my SWG. If i opened my pool and it was all green and i had to clear it up, i would turn off my SWG and just use bleach until i had passed the 3 reguirements for shocking my pool.

Once you read everything in pool school you will understand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.