DE alternatives?

Apr 22, 2013
San Diego
I have an old DE filter with no backwash capability, so I have to spray the grids off by hand in my backyard. As you might imagine, this has made a small patch of almost-cement where the silica gets deposited. Even with a backwash system, I don't believe I can simply pump the DE into the waste water system (because it's San Diego and there are regulations for everything).

Are any of the DE alternative products worth using? Would they form less of a hard layer when spayed off over my yard? Any experience and comparisons from users would be greatly appreciated!

TheElbow said:
I have an old DE filter with no backwash capability, so I have to spray the grids off by hand in my backyard. As you might imagine, this has made a small patch of almost-cement where the silica gets deposited. Even with a backwash system, I don't believe I can simply pump the DE into the waste water system (because it's San Diego and there are regulations for everything).

Are any of the DE alternative products worth using? Would they form less of a hard layer when spayed off over my yard? Any experience and comparisons from users would be greatly appreciated!
My lawn seems to thrive on fiberclear. I blast the clumps to spread it around and there's no crust anywhere, after three backwashes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.