Testing at pool stores

Daltex

Jul 31, 2012
Dallas
Just an FYI. I know the regulars here probably already knew this but I've been maintaining my pool the "pool store" way for decades. Last year stumbled across this site while looking for an accurate calculator to speed my spending of pool store products. Now I'm a convert and I thank all of you for your valuable info.

I was told over and over to keep the stabilizer up. The closer to 100 the better. I added powdered CYA to supplement the tablets and shock powder of the day. The store loved the results as I was at 100 CYA and had a FC of 5. "That will clear up your swamp".

Soooo since the store is basically next door I would run over there for testing even after I learned the BBB method.

*** In a one week stretch they measured the CYA @ 99 and then 40. A different store that is more of a boutique pool store was going to be the tie breaker. They measured the CYA @ 142.

Today I am ordering the TF100 and kicking myself for not doing so earlier.

The pool is an oasis though. The key is a great big DE filter and an Intelliflo pump that can crank the water. Within 24 hrs. it was sparkling. I wonder how much less then the 11 gallons of bleach I really needed to use?? At least I won't have to guess on the maintenance levels.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

As you are likely aware, if your CYA really was 100ppm, we would be recommending a minimum FC of 7ppm to ensure clear water. But you would find easier maintenance if you lowered your CYA to around 50ppm ... especially if you actually have algae present.

The quickest way to determine the "health" of your pool (besides what the water looks like) would be to perform the Overnight FC Loss Test

When you do your CYA test, you may want to mix 50% tap water and 50% pool water, and double the result. That will give you a better idea of what your CYA really is. Most tests report anything over 100 as 100, so it could really be higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.