Cloudy Pool Help

May 23, 2008
New here, spent over 200 dollars in chemicals do not want to spend more

want to use BBM method cheaper. I have to oder new test kit but using

aquachek 7 strip test. I used clear and perfect pool came clear with alge power

fine on bottom. Tried to vaccum got some until water return stired bottom

I am at a loss results of pool test are.

total harness 500

total chlorine 0

free chlorine 0.5

ph 7.8

ta 120

cy 100

I bought the bbm stuff. Need help to clear the pool.

Thx Mike

You have algae. With a CYA of 100, you need to shock to 25ppm. Your normal chlorine level should be between 8-13.

Add bleach. You will need to test your chlorine and add bleach daily.

You also need to lower your pH to 7.2-7.4, which will help your chlorine be more effective.

You will probably want to consider a partial drain to get your CYA levels down

Read the sitckies. Use Jason'ss calculator. Both are linked in my signature.

By the way, it is BBB, not BBM! :)

Welcome to TFP!

I have 18x33 pool you said to put bleach in it. you said 25 ppm hoe much gallons is that. Confusing using calulator. can you help.

Thanks Mike

Attachments

• pond 2010 017.jpg
    pond 2010 017.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1
  • pond 2010 016.jpg
    pond 2010 016.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1
Mike, if it was my pool, I would replace some water to get rid of about half that CYA (assuming you do not have a SWCG).

Please list all your pool and equipment info in your signature to allow folks to better and more easily answer any questions you may have.

Test kit?...... the most recommended kit is the TF Test kit (link in my sig) sold by one of our members, duraleigh. It's the BEST investment we made in our pool.

And, just a reminder, use plain unscented bleach. :wink:

Partial drain

How much is a partial drain. Never had to do it before. Put the 8 gallons of bleach in

also with a partial drain should I lower the PH before partial drain and after partial drain

should I leave the pump on. Water still cloudy.

Thx Mike

One of the problems with the CYA test is that it sometimes reads values higher than 100 as 100. Assuming your CYA level really is 100 then you only need to replace 20% of the water. If your pool is an average of 5 feet deep that means draining and refilling 1 foot of water. But if the CYA level is actually higher you may need to do more than that.

I would go ahead and lower the PH now.

Did partial drain 12 inch, refilled. Pool came clear you can see pockets of alge

on bottom. Started to vac , when pump started pool went cloudy again.

Here are the new no.s

total hardness 500

total chlorine .10

free chlorine .20

ph 7.2

ta 120

cy 30-50

Cannot seem to get the alge from stirring up.

thx Mike

Any algae/silt on the bottom should be vacuumed up as best you can. Some of it will go back into the water and cause some cloudiness. When it settles again vacuum some more. If you have a cleaning robot you can use that instead of vacuuming.

You really need more accurate testing. The CYA level can't have gone down that much. The best investment in your pool you can make is a high quality test kit. I suggest the TF Test Kit, the Tylor K-2006 is also good.

You need lots more chlorine. You need to bring the FC level up to shock level, which is somewhere between 15 and 20, and hold it there long enough to kill all the algae. If you let the chlorine level get that low the algae will just start growing again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.