DIY SWG and or Variable Speed Pump?

May 17, 2012
Hi All,

I've received tons of valuable help here at TFP...I'm remodeling my pool this summer and want to add an SWG and possibly a variable speed pump to save on electricity here in socal...I'm a pretty handy guy, but the following quote for equipment and install doesn't sound crazy:

Pentair SWG installed: $1,325
Pentair Variable Speed Pump installed: $1,465

I replaced my pump, filter, and all the pvc last year just to give everyone an idea of my capabilities...is this something I should do myself as well? I'm just not 100% clear on the difficulty with the electrical work...any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Ron

If you have replaced the pump once, wiring in the VS is the same thing (assuming you already have 230 V at the motor).

Installing the SWG is also just some PVC cutting and gluing and some minor wiring. If you just had a mechanical timer, you would just wire the SWG from there. But with the built-in timer of the Intelliflo, I am not exactly sure how you wire in the SWG to not have power when the pump is off.

Take note that to get full use of the Pentair SWG, I think you need one of their automation systems ... which would interface with the pump as well.

But, if you are not comfortable with the wiring, then it is certainly safer hiring it out.

You can get the pump and SWG for easily less than $2000, so they are charging a good $800+ for less than a days work on install (plus warranty help if required).

Thank you, Jason. Knowing that I'm paying $800 in labor is very helpful. For me, I think it will come down to peace of mind (warranty) and whether I will have the free time to research and install.

Thanks again!

Ron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.