how to open a stuck AquaRite Turbo Cell

bjornk

Aug 1, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I'm trying to open up my AquaRite Turbo Cell, but neither end just won't budge using hand force. I bought a $10 strap wrench on ebay to see if that would work, but the strap wrench just snapped off.

Any ideas on how to open one of these things? they're obviously way to big to use like a pipe wrench, so I don't know what other tools I could use to get this thing off :(

[attachment=0:9mil3piu]swg cell.jpg[/attachment:9mil3piu]

I have a pair of strap wrenches that I picked up at Harbor Freight for a few dollars. They seem to do the job.

jblizzle said:
I was going to suggest a strap wrench ... maybe get a better on that is less likely to break?

Sounds like someone put them on too tight in the first place.

Yeah, it looks like someone has used tools to tighten/loosen these, even though it says hand tighten in the manual :(

Do you know of any good quality strap wrenches? I searched on sears.com & lowes.com and both the craftsman & kobalt have pretty poor reviews and look similar to the "Power Grip" I have tried...

Richard320 said:
I'd try some channel locks.

I have a pair so big they're almost comical. Pretty pricey, though, for a one-time use.

thanks, I was looking at those types of pliers too but didn't find any the size I need before, but now when I searched for channellock I was able to find a 18" plier at lowes with a jaw opening of 4.25" for 23 bucks... if it works it's worth it! You can never have too many good tools ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interestingly enough I use two 12" pipe wrenches to loosen mine. You do not need to have the jaws of the pipe wrench open clear across the nuts. The nuts have ridges, and the jaws catch just fine on them.

I got the 16" Channellock, and with that badboy I was finally able to open that thing up :) But even with that huge thing, I still had to crank it to get it open, so it was pretty stuck...

In the manual it says you're supposed to check the plates and clean them etc. I rinced through it with the hose and got some gunk out of there, but through that little hole I can hardly even see the plates, only the rows of white plastic that I'm guessing are holding the plates somewhere in the middle... So how are you supposed to inspect the plates inside?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.