Pump, Filter, & Heater 60 Feet From Pool.

D_A_N

May 25, 2008
We have just purchased a 21' x 54" AGP. I'm getting the ground work done now and I'm trying to decide were the equipment should go. Instead of putting it next to the pool, I was thinking of putting it under the eve next to the house. Then I Could run underground water lines 60' out to the pool. We purchased a 100,000 BTU Hayward natural gas heater and my wife feels that running the water lines underground would cool the water after it leaves the heater ( I hate it when she's right). Also the pump and heater will be running in the early morning hours, is it to noisy to have next to the house. We have had small quickset pools in the past But, this is our first real pool with a real heater and I want to make sure I do it right.

Giving the equipment protection from the heat and sun is a really good idea.

That said, both your concerns are valid. The noise would probably bother me...especially if you wanted to run it at night on a timer. The underground cooling could be alleviated by putting the pipes to and from the pool in 6" black plastic drain pipe but then that would have to be waterproofed at each end.

Perhaps some type of shelter near the pool would be a good compromise.

Attachments

• IMG03405-20130620-1949.jpg
    IMG03405-20130620-1949.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG03409-20130620-1950.jpg
    IMG03409-20130620-1950.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to TFP!

Many heaters need to be at least several feet from the house. The exact distance varies with the heater and local codes.

You do lose a little heat to the ground but that is not significant. The surface area of the pool is much larger than the surface area of the pipe and most heat is lost through evaporation anyway.

Our pump and heater are quite near the bedroom and I can easily hear them when they are running. For me it is a relaxing background noise, but some other people will be bothered.

It is completely possible to get a pump that will work over that distance, but not all above ground pool pumps are designed to deal with pipes that long. It is not just a question of the HP, but also if it is a low, medium, or high head pump. If you have a model number we can probably look it up for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.