Jun 8, 2011
Northeast Ohio USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I am back for another pool season.

I wrote last year of my filter scare (sand-filter-scare-t43677.html). I lost the lid THREE times during backwash already this year. The filter just starts spewing water out from where the lid sits and then a few seconds later the lid goes flying. I have not had the problem at all during filtering (only backwash), but now I have cracked the air bleeder attachment, so , at least that will need to be replaced.

I am coming to the realization that I need a new filter unit. My current multiport still leaks water occasionally and now the lid will not stay on.

So, what to buy?

I wanted to get a side mount sand filter, so I can reuse as much of the existing plumbing, but it seems top mount units are more available (popular?) and drastically cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 3211wt_828 is what I have found so far. Seems big enough, but I am puzzled as to why the equivalent side mount model is near twice the price.

Thanks for any advice.

For your pool size, a general filter size recommendation would be 4 sqft (27"), but given that you have a shorter season, you could likely get by with something a little smaller like the 24" (3.14 sqft).

I have no idea about the pricing ...

Mine's a side mount, was neither hard to find nor expensive - at least not to me it wasn't.

Those Amazon prices are interesting... I only paid somewhere over $500 for my 600 lb filter, and that was from Leslie's of all places!

Thanks for the comments so far.

A possible misconception I had it that the top-mount was the newer technology (better?). I am not sure why you would choose one over the other if that is not the case. My current filter has a side mount and I am pretty sure it is over 10 years old.

Either way, it seems I will have to do some extensive re-plumbing regardless the replacement I choose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.