How much DE and how to measure it...

Sep 22, 2011
I just opened yesterday, and I had to add DE. I took the filter apart to clean the grids, so I was starting fresh. The filter states that 4.5 lbs of DE are required. The prior owners left a bag of DE, which also had a 13 oz. plastic coffee can. I have read online that coffee and DE have similar densities and therefore, a pound of DE is about equal to a pound of coffee. Keeping that in mind, I added 5.5 cans worth to the skimmer box (4.5 lbs x 16 oz. = 72 oz; 72 oz / 13 oz scoop = 5.5 scoops).

Just to double check my procedure, I searched on here and have seen some references indicating that this is not the correct way to do it, since DE only "weighs" half as much as coffee, so a 13 oz can of coffee would only hold about 6.5 oz of DE.

I'm confused. I know pool stores sell a special scoop, but when I called they told me to use a coffee can. :hammer:

What is the correct answer? I've read one gallon of DE weighs one pound, but I haven's seen any official references to support this.

Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.