Got GRAY ?? (plaster)

stevenbrla

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Still sweating the plaster selection here.

I think we're trying to get that deep blue look that I usually see with dark gray, or even onyx plaster... but a "light" version.

We think we need the "light" version (if possible) primarily because we live in south Louisiana and are very concerned with the water temp being too high to enjoy in the summer.

PB is pushing NPT's Quartzscapes (which I have no problem with... do i?) If I had to choose today, I'd choose their French Gray. It's a medium gray with black specs, white specs, and sparkly crystal things (quartz?).

French Gray

Anyone have a medium-light gray pool?

Pics? Describe your water color? Any high temp issues?

ThankSS!

This is an old thread that I never finished, and I've had a few people ask what color we decided on, and also to see some pics.

Maybe the most interesting thing is that lots of us look at pics to make our decision with, and of course, the pics can vary greatly with the light at that given moment, not to mention the camera variance, plus the monitor variance.

It would've been easiest for me to take one pic in bright sun, with the spillover running... this is when my water looks best in my opinion... but I thought it would be interesting for newer folks to see how much variance there is depending on the angle, light, and movement.

All of the pics taken below were taken within an hour of each other... there were clouds moving changing the light. They all look good to me, with one looking almost murky (clouds above), but obviosly, one wouldn't pic this color plaster based on that particular pic by any means.

oh yea, after seeing a few pools, we made up our own recipe of Diamondbrite, and this is one thing that I'm pleased with our guessing on.... Our Recipe: 8 parts Tahoe Blue, 1 part Onyx, 1 part Midnight Blue

P5210297.jpg

P5210298.jpg

P5210299.jpg

P5210300.jpg

P5210301.jpg

P5210302.jpg

P5210303.jpg

P5210304.jpg

P5210305.jpg

P5210307.jpg

Your water and plaster is gorgeous!

My pool changes with the sun/clouds/overcast too. It seems that everyday I get a different color variation. It's just too cool for me. 8) :lol:

The pool color and your whole pool area look really great Steve!

For others thinking about gray plaster I've attached a couple of pics of ours with and without water. This is quartz plaster, color was what our PB called "sapphire smoke". It's kind of a medium gray color dry, but looks blue with water in it. Like Steve's the color looks different depending on conditions (how sunny it is, what time of day it is and how much surface chop there is).

Attachments

• 33-plaster.jpg
    33-plaster.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 664
  • 71-chair.jpg
    71-chair.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 654
  • 49-mosaics.jpg
    49-mosaics.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 657
Very nice pools Steve and TresW!

I love the darker gray plaster colors. That's why we chose the midnight blue for ours.

Steve, our yards look a lot better now than they did about this time last year! WHEW! Glad that's over!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stevenbria, do you mind tell plaster company?

Stevenbria, do you mind posting what plaster company in Louisiana you used. I am looking for a referral for a plaster company in the Louisiana area that does not mind traveling about 2 1/2 hours for work. thank you.

Thanks Dave and Jim,

Life is certainly better this summer than last.

Water temp surpassed 90 yesterday. Pretty much perfect for me... and better yet, no PB in my life to wreak havoc, and demonstrate his... well, nevermind.... don't get me started.

Matt,
I pm'd you about the guys who did my plaster. Plaster installation should only take one day, so I wouldn't think travel would be an issue.
(unless you have issues... then the distance may be more of your problem...)

thanks for the compliments,
Steve

I have a grey finish that is by Florida Stucco and is in their Gem line and is called Silver Blend. My pool builder had it in his pool and an electrician I work with had the French Silver in his (doesn't have the blue and green flakes). It has 3M colorquartz aggregate. We love the color of the water and as others have said, a picture is hard to judge by.
IMG_2124.JPG
</img>
IMG_2130.JPG
</img>

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.