Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got GRAY ?? (plaster)

1. Back To Top    #1

Got GRAY ?? (plaster)

Still sweating the plaster selection here.

I think we're trying to get that deep blue look that I usually see with dark gray, or even onyx plaster... but a "light" version.

We think we need the "light" version (if possible) primarily because we live in south Louisiana and are very concerned with the water temp being too high to enjoy in the summer.

PB is pushing NPT's Quartzscapes (which I have no problem with... do i?) If I had to choose today, I'd choose their French Gray. It's a medium gray with black specs, white specs, and sparkly crystal things (quartz?).

French Gray

Anyone have a medium-light gray pool?

Pics? Describe your water color? Any high temp issues?

ThankSS!
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

2. Back To Top    #2
    No info for you... just wanted to say that I love pools with this or similar color finishes... I like the interesting colors, dark grays, even greens, rather than the typical 'liner blue' that is so common

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is an old thread that I never finished, and I've had a few people ask what color we decided on, and also to see some pics.

Maybe the most interesting thing is that lots of us look at pics to make our decision with, and of course, the pics can vary greatly with the light at that given moment, not to mention the camera variance, plus the monitor variance.

It would've been easiest for me to take one pic in bright sun, with the spillover running... this is when my water looks best in my opinion... but I thought it would be interesting for newer folks to see how much variance there is depending on the angle, light, and movement.

All of the pics taken below were taken within an hour of each other... there were clouds moving changing the light. They all look good to me, with one looking almost murky (clouds above), but obviosly, one wouldn't pic this color plaster based on that particular pic by any means.

oh yea, after seeing a few pools, we made up our own recipe of Diamondbrite, and this is one thing that I'm pleased with our guessing on.... Our Recipe: 8 parts Tahoe Blue, 1 part Onyx, 1 part Midnight Blue

18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Steve,

Yard is looking nice now with landscaping! How's the grass business? (no, not THAT kinda grass...)

I do still like your plaster color choice. I'm hoping to plaster and fill mine in June.

Jim
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

5. Back To Top    #5
    Your water and plaster is gorgeous!

My pool changes with the sun/clouds/overcast too. It seems that everyday I get a different color variation. It's just too cool for me. 8)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6
    very nice!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

7. Back To Top    #7

love it

Thanks for posting. I love the water color! Beautiufl pool.
    Owner/Builder- Pool under construction- Started 4/18/08
    20X40 freeform 3 1/2" to 8 1/2' deep
    elevated 8' spa w/ spillover
    Plaster: Undecided
    Pentair intelliflo
    Pentair intellichlor
    Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU gas heater
    Pentair Triton II 30" sand filter
    LED (probably colorlogic) 3 in main pool and 1 in spa
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Control System: Still working on this Intellitouch I guess but don't know all the components I need yet.

8. Back To Top    #8

The pool color and your whole pool area look really great Steve!

For others thinking about gray plaster I've attached a couple of pics of ours with and without water. This is quartz plaster, color was what our PB called "sapphire smoke". It's kind of a medium gray color dry, but looks blue with water in it. Like Steve's the color looks different depending on conditions (how sunny it is, what time of day it is and how much surface chop there is).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our pool adventure... click here

9. Back To Top    #9

Oops, one of my attachments got cut. I didn't know there was a limit of 3. This one is closer to what the color looks like most of the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our pool adventure... click here

10. Back To Top    #10
    Very nice pools Steve and TresW!

I love the darker gray plaster colors. That's why we chose the midnight blue for ours.

Steve, our yards look a lot better now than they did about this time last year! WHEW! Glad that's over!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Stevenbria, do you mind tell plaster company?

Stevenbria, do you mind posting what plaster company in Louisiana you used. I am looking for a referral for a plaster company in the Louisiana area that does not mind traveling about 2 1/2 hours for work. thank you.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Dave and Jim,

Life is certainly better this summer than last.

Water temp surpassed 90 yesterday. Pretty much perfect for me... and better yet, no PB in my life to wreak havoc, and demonstrate his... well, nevermind.... don't get me started.

Matt,
    I pm'd you about the guys who did my plaster. Plaster installation should only take one day, so I wouldn't think travel would be an issue.
    (unless you have issues... then the distance may be more of your problem...)

thanks for the compliments,
    Steve

13. Back To Top    #13
    I have a grey finish that is by Florida Stucco and is in their Gem line and is called Silver Blend. My pool builder had it in his pool and an electrician I work with had the French Silver in his (doesn't have the blue and green flakes). It has 3M colorquartz aggregate. We love the color of the water and as others have said, a picture is hard to judge by.
    </img>
    </img>
    12,200 gal.
    grey plaster
    IntelliChlor SWCG
    Starite System 3 DE filter