Pool Pilot Cubby - Help Troubleshoot

v0id

Apr 1, 2013
Chandler, AZ
I'm having difficulty getting my Pool Pilot Cubby to work.

I got my pool clear now (green-pool-help-t56994.html); but I'm unable to get the Pool Pilot Cubby to run properly. I'm getting Quadruple "Check System" Flashes on the Control Panel after a few minutes of running. The "Troubleshooting" page for the Pool Pilot Cubby manual states the following:

10) Quadruple “CHECK SYSTEM” Flashes (Control Panel Problem).
A) Low Cell current - no chlorine.
Solution: Check with a DC current tester. Replace Cell is needed.
B) The Cell cord is disconnected from the Cell.
Solution: Ensure that the Cell cord is firmly pressed onto the Cell.

I do have a multimeter, but I am unsure how I go about testing and what are the proper numbers for a good working unit (I can't find any numbers in the manual).

Please advise. Thank you.

Cell with the in-deck canister close to the pool (supposedly, it works by convection to cycle the chlorine into the pool).
file.php

Close up of the cell.
file.php

Front of the control panel.
file.php

The underside of the control panel.
file.php

JasonLion said:
How long have you had the cell? They tend to wear out after 3 to 5 years. Also, visually inspect the cell plates and see if there are any obvious white chalky deposits on the cell plates.

I had the cell for at least 2.5 yrs (that's when I moved into the house). I don't know how old the cell is.

I don't see any white chalky deposits (i presume you mean white thin flakes by chalky?).
I do see tiny dots here and there when I view the plates at an angle (at a reflective angele).

It seems likely your cell is wearing out.

You can do the multi-meter test by measuring between the two pins on the cell cable where they attach to the main unit. You need to make sure to do the test while the cell is energized, easiest to manage when it is turned up to 100%. I don't remember the correct voltage off hand, but someone here can look it up for you.

JasonLion said:
You can do the multi-meter test by measuring between the two pins on the cell cable where they attach to the main unit. You need to make sure to do the test while the cell is energized, easiest to manage when it is turned up to 100%. I don't remember the correct voltage off hand, but someone here can look it up for you.

I did twice with the following results:
1) 30.88 V
2) 31.50 V

The posted numbers are when the green light is blinking (i.e. when I turn the knob to 100%). Once the red light starts flashing four times, the Voltage drops slowly until it stabilizes at around 0.5V.

Normal operation is between 10 and 16 volts, so clearly the cell voltage is running too high. Three are three possibilities: cell worn out, significant calcium scaling, or drastically too little salt in the water. You have already ruled out calcium scaling with the visual inspection. If you check the salt level you will know which of the remaining two it is.

About the same result with the Salt Level at 2900 ppm.
1) 31.5
2) 31.5

Seems like the cell is worn out. :(

I have the in-deck cell version. It doesn't seem very easy to find replacements for these and they are very costly ($400+). Any recommendations?
Or would getting a new unit like the Digital Nano Auto Pilot with the in-line cell (manifold) be a worthwhile investment?

Please advise. Thanks.

Will the replacement costs of the cell so expensive, I'm leaning towards upgrading my SWG unit.

At 12k gallon pool size, which is more recommended:
1) Pool Pilot Digital Nano ($650): rated for 22k gal (almost 2x)
2) Pool Pilot Digital w/ SC-36 ($1100): rated for 36k gal (3x)

Option 2 almost doubles the price of option 1, is it worth the investment to upgrade since the Nano is almost 2x my pool size?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.