Solar Reels. . .Pros and cons

Apr 29, 2013
I am looking to buy a Solar Reel and cover for a 16x34 pool. I have been reading the posts on the covers, but little or nothing about the reels. Are there reels to just stay away from because of construction and materials? Is there a consensus on a reel or reels that do the job as advertised?

I bought a cheapie reel from a discount pool supply website last year. It works fine; my biggest complaint is that it's an eyesore on my deck, and the solar blanket doesn't seem to make much difference in my water temp.

Thanks for the reply. I have a sungrabber solar panel on my roof that is used to heat the pool also so what I'm going to try to do is use the liquid heatsaver product for the season and see if that does the same job. I think I got between five and seven extra degrees last year from the solar panel. If heat saver can give me another 4 or 5 I'm fine with that.

The reel and cover package was almost $600 which is at this point not necessary. I'll just figure it out at the end of the season see which way I must go

karmazrevenge said:
I bought a cheapie reel from a discount pool supply website last year. It works fine; my biggest complaint is that it's an eyesore on my deck, and the solar blanket doesn't seem to make much difference in my water temp.
Having a solar blanket on a night can/should make a big difference. Most of it due to reducing heat lost due to evaporation.

On my pool, somewhere around half of my heat gain is due to using a cover a night and the other half is due to using solar panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.