Heating spa and pool filtering

Apr 29, 2013
Purchased a new home a few weeks ago with a pool and a spa. The spa has a waterfall that falls into the pool when the pump is running. I started to heat the spa today for the first time and noticed that when I do, the pool pump stops filtering the pool. Is this how the system should operate while heating the spa? It seems strange to me because if the spa takes 10 hours or so to heat then the pool will be neglected and not get filtered that day.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Welcome to TFP!

It really depends on your equipment and plumbing. Posting up pictures could help us confirm your setup.

What kind of heater? It would be pretty unusual for it to take more than 2 hours to heat up the spa.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Actually that helps. Everything that I had previously read online told me that it takes 10-11 hours to heat up a spa depending on the size of course. I started it at about 11AM this morning and it reached 101 degrees within an hour or two as you suggested. Since it only takes a couple hours to heat I can easily manage running it and the pool pump. Thanks for the response.

Usually with a common pump/filter setup for the pool/spa, you just end up filtering the spa while using the spa and not filtering the pool. But, since you are only likely using the spa for a few hours, this does not really impact the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.