Air Bubbles in Two of Three Return Lines

Nov 19, 2009
Sacramento
Hello everyone, I've noticed the water flow seems a little low on our pool so I read the Hayward manual and it said a potential problem could be an air leak. I went out and noticed a lot of air bubbles in two of the three return lines in the pool. I cleaned the pump strainer basket (had quite a few leaves in it) and turned it back on. It wouldn't fill more than about 3/4 of the way to the top of the lid, and I did notice quite a few air bubbles in it as well. I'm going to try the soak test with a water hose tomorrow, but my concern is the one line that doesn't have any air bubbles coming out of it. Hoping that doesn't point to an in ground issue. Thanks for any other suggestions.

If the pump will not fill with water, then you likely have a suction side air leak. Between the drain/skimmer and the front of the pump.

Are you sure the water is high enough in the skimmer to not get a vortex or that the weir is sticking?

Did you lube the pump lid o ring and check that the pump drain screw is clean, lubed and tight?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Hi and thanks for your reply. The water level is good, right between the two tiles, and about 2-3 inches above the low point of the entrance to the skimmer. I checked and it looks like the o ring for the pump basket is recessed into the lid. I did put some lube on the top of the surface that the lid sits on, hoping it would reach the o ring. I saw what looked like two plastic screw things attached to the pump and made sure they were tight too. The weir seems to be fine too, and I removed the skimmer lid and could see a decent flow of water entering it. Here are a few pictures, not sure if they'll be of any use. I have the 4 filters soaking right now in dishwasher detergent and will put it all back tomorrow and start in on finding that leak. Oh, and the pool is almost 4 years old. Thanks again.

pool11.jpg

pool12.jpg

pool13.jpg

pool14.jpg

Does the O-ring on the lid come out? My super flow has a similar lid design and the clear part can be worked out of the outer ring and then the o-ring will come completely out for cleaning and lubing. Also make sure to clean the top of the pump.

After you put it all back together, make sure you prime with the filter air bleed on the top open until water comes out. Then run for awhile and see is all the air leaves the pump and check the air bleed valve again.

Quick update. My wife just told me she noticed the band around the filter has been leaking for some time. I've always had problems with that thing. Last time I took it apart, I bought a new o ring and lubed it up good and tightened it to 150 inch pounds and it seemed to be okay. There's quite a bit of white buildup on the band, any idea how to clean it? And any tips on tightening that band to prevent it from leaking? Thanks.

pic15.JPG

You can probably scrap a lot of that off and then use some muriatic acid solution to try to get more.

When installing, tap around the band with a mallet, then snug, then tap, then snug, etc. You should not require much force on the band to get it tight by tapping.

Good to get that fixed otherwise that would let the filet drain when the pump is off and maybe lose prime.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.