Can a chlorinator be used to dissolve/add CYA?

jimhokie

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2013
Yorktown, VA
I switched to a salt chlorine generator system a couple years ago, but my old chlorinator is still plumbed in. Can I put granular CYA into the chlorinator as a means to dissolve it, perhaps more quickly than the sock in the skimmer method?

Otherwise, I'm thinking of making a PVC rig to screw into the return that will allow the return flow to more quickly dissolve it. Has anyone already made something like this? I'm thinking of using a reducer to connect maybe a 4-6" diameter PVC pipe that's long enough to hold several pounds of CYA, with a filtered outlet to prevent the granules from blowing out. I'd hate to reinvent the wheel if someone already has a proven design out there!

I like the idea of making something that screws into the return. Now whether or not it's worth the effort is an entirely different story.

From making water coolers for my pool i learned that i could restrict them fairly well and not cause the pump to act up. If you wanted to do that i'd just get the fitting that screws in to the return, and then maybe step it up to 3" or 4" pipe. Obviously you'd have to cap it, and allow a place for water to exit the contraption with out losing undissolved CYA. Perhaps a cap with a bunch of holes drilled in it, the sock you put your cya in will keep it in the pipe. Or if you want no sock then cover the holes with window screen you glued in.

Maybe this is over thought. How about just the fitting to screw in return and short length of pipe followed by one union to create a lip on end of pipe. Slide sock over union onto pipe and ziptie in place....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.