Question regarding CH and Pristine Check

Apr 24, 2013
Hi all. I'm new to pools as we bought a new home which has an AG pool. I found this site and think I am learning a lot. It started as a green swamp, and I had already began trying to clear it up before finding this site. Long story short, I quickly went the the bleach option after finding this site and ordered a recommended test kit. (Kit is due Tuesday.) Anyway, I used the guess by color method and seemed to have some success, because my water is no longer green. (It is not cloudy, but we'll tackle that one after I get the test kit and get accurate test results.) I had already purchased some test strips from Lowes which have six readings on them. According to those, my FC is now holding. I will also confirm this once my test kit arrives.

Now, onto my real question. The test strips from Lowes indicate my CH is high. I haven't acted on it yet, because I've learned from this site that I need results from the TF100 kit I have coming. I have at least been studying on CH in case the TF100 kit confirms what the strips are indicating. Anyway, I see where it seems the only way to lower CH is by draining part of the pool. Does Pristine Check not preform as advertised, or does it have other bi-products which cause more negatives than the positive of lowering the CH?

Welcome to tfp, VOLmaniac :wave:

VOLmaniac said:
Anyway, I see where it seems the only way to lower CH is by draining part of the pool. Does Pristine Check not preform as advertised, or does it have other bi-products which cause more negatives than the positive of lowering the CH?
There have been a number of products that claim to be miracle cures to lower CH, but I am not aware of any that have actually worked effectively. Pristine Check is a new one to me, but I bet it is similar to the other ones.

The surefire way to lower CH is drain/refill. Richard320 is our resident expert on tapping into as much rainwater as possible landing on his roof and has lowered his CH that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.