Shocked the pool, now a green tint ? ?

Aug 3, 2011
Hey guys, I thought I would shock the pool last nite , so I add the bleach to bring chlorine level to roughly 15 ppm, now today my water has a green tint to it, nothing major, just a slight green look to it. Never had this green tint in the 2 yrs I have had the pool, what could be causing this ?

richard beat me...Usually green tinting means iron or copper in the water. Have you used any algaecides with copper? What is your fill/makeup water source? If the tint goes away when the FC drops down to normal, you probably do not have to worry about it, but if it is still there, then you will need a sequestrant.

I'm gonna' reprint my reply within the thread that Richard referred to....
I have observed this phenomenon on opening my pool the past 3 Springs but not before. My pool tests negative for iron as it always has.

Assuming you are experiencing the same thing, just keep everything as you normally would and the pool will turn back to clear blue in another day or so.

I do not understand why some people experience this but I have read it before on this forum and have personal experience.....I just am not convinced as to it's cause.

Tell me about your chlorine history.

Did you have chlorine in the pool prior to this addition or was this the first dose this Spring. How much (ppm) did you dose and what was your CYA level? Are the test results above current?
This seems to occur on the first chlorine dose of the season and will not recur for the rest of the season. It will clear in a day or two, in my experience, regardless of where your chlorine level is. My pool has never tested postive for iron or copper nor has my well water. I have never used anything containing copper in my pool. I have no explanation.

Kennyb are you on a well?

and the pool will turn back to clear blue in another day or so
I am still trying to get a handle on what causes this but we see multiple reports every Spring and, to my knowledge, iron has not been the culprit in any of them. I do NOT believe the cause is organic, but I have seen this in my pool too often to think it is iron. If keenyb's pool follows the pattern, that green will not return to his pool for the rest of the swim season, regardless.

If it was iron coming out of solution and then going back, you should be able to get the iron to precipitate again but I never have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.