Cloudy Water

May 18, 2012
Im clueless about pools, this is the second year owning a home with a pool. Just found this site, it would have been very helpful last year. Ive battled green algea while opening my pool this year. The water started out a dark green/brown color. Ive got it somewhat cleared up and its now a very light blue. The problem I have now is that its very cloudy. I've tried a sink and sweep product and it didnt seem to make a big difference. What is the best way to clear the water? Ive backwashed the filter many many times, sweeped and vaccumed the pool at least a dozen time since I started to open it last week. I have also added about 15 lbs of soda ash bc the ph was very low at first. Thanks in advance for your help.

My test results are:

total hardness 250
total chlorine 10
free chorine 20
ph 7.0
akalinity 130
cya 75

Welcome to TFP!

Even if you have killed all of the algae, which isn't obvious at the moment, it can still take a sand filter another week or two to clear up the water. If the algae is all dead you should see a visible improvement in the water from day to day, though it might only be a very small improvement.

Also, you need to be careful about adjusting the PH when FC is high. FC above 10 can invalidate the PH test results.

Welcome to TFP!

We will get you going in the right direction. First though, you will need to get a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 from tftestkits.net, as it has all of the tests that you need and is an excellent value. You can also get the Taylor K-2006 which is good too, but much more expensive than the TF-100. You won't be able to find either kit in the pool store. Anyway, once you have your test kit, you can run the tests and post the results. Then, we can get you squared away. :goodjob:

Alrighty, kit came in today. Blows my old kit out the water. Here at the results

ph 7.5
fc 15
cc 2
tc 17
ta 120
ch 320
cya over 100 ( it was below the 100 mark when the dot went away)

It is still getting better a little bit each day but still cant see the shallow end bottom.

Cloudy water with CCs above .5 means you need to shock. However, shocking with a CYA above 100 (and we don't know yet how high above 100) is almost impossible. You are probably looking at a significant drain and refill.

Can you redo the CYA test with half pool water and half tap water? That will give you a better idea of what CYA you're looking at.

Yes, 110. We would recommend getting the cya down to 50 ppm before doing the shocking process, unless that chlorinator you listed in your sig is a Saltwater chlorine generator? If it is, then get your cya down to 70-80 before doing the shocking process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Smykowski said:
I have an above ground, so my usefulness has just run out (until you're refilled and ready to shock....then I'll jump back into the fray!).

Anybody else have any suggestions other than multiple drain/refills?

Submersible pump from Harbor Freight. Should run around $50. That or backwashing/wasting to the inlet level and refilling are really the only options.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.