Trying to clean my new green pool

Apr 22, 2013
Tulsa, OK
I've been reading here and learning a lot the last couple of weeks, but I've reached a place where I think I need some help.

We just bought this home in late January, and the water was fine. Now it's green, and I'm trying to clean it up using BBB. I adjusted the pH from 6.8 to 7.2, increased the TA from 50 to 80, then started adding bleach. Trouble is, I'm operating with just a 6-way hth test kit. I ordered my TF-100 test kit a couple of nights ago, but I don't have it yet. I'm not sure how to continue to shock with just one chlorine reading that goes only to 5 ppm. I know I need to add more bleach, but how much?

Last night, I added 12 jugs (121 oz @8.25%), brushed the pool, and waited. This morning, we bakcwashed the filter, so the pressure is back where it needs to be. The green is less dark than it was, and I can see the bottom in the shallow end, but it's cloudy. What next?

OTO-dark orange (Cl is over 20ppm?)
pH was 7.2 when I started to shock
TA 80
CYA>100 (but last summer's readings on the pump show this same high reading all summer)
CH 200--but that's irrelevant with a vinyl liner, right?

Also, I might have blockage in one of two skimmer lines, but pressure is good in the other skimmer and in the two water jets.

This is my first post after MUCH reading. I really love this site! Thanks for all the help I've already received!

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

What I would suggest is this..... just sota' limp along with the OTO test until your kit arrives. Do so by testing and adding enough chlorine to keep the OTO test in the dark yellow (maybe orangeish, but certainly not brownish red)

Then, when you can do the FAS/DPD test with your new kit, you'll be off and running.

Now, I am puzzled by your CYA comment....How are you testing? Why did you reference the pump?

Welcome to TFP!

How high was 12 jugs supposed to raise your FC? That seems like an awful lot of bleach.

Given the high CYA, your first step should be to replace water to get the CYA down to the recommended levels. Maintain the very high FC before you get the TF100 will be difficult.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

duraleigh,
Sorta limping along is good advice for now. At least it confirms what I was thinking I should do...

The CYA is not connected to the pump...but there's a chart near the pump where the former owners' pool guys recorded water test results, and every time a CYA figure is listed there from June to October, it always reads >100. I've read that it should be around 50 on the high end...but it seems the previous owners never ha it in that range anyway? I'm not sure what to do with high CYA since replacing half the water is not really an option right now...so I guess I was hoping that the previous owners' consistently high CYA readings would mean we might not have to worry about that right now.

I'm sitting at the skimmer right now with 8 more jugs of bleach. Should I go ahead and dump them? Is that included in "limping along"? I thought I read somewhere that new chlorine consumes the combined chlorine...but then doesn't it also become combined chlorine?

I've taken in just enough new info to confuse myself.

Thanks.

Just saw your signature. So does sound like you were right ... you just have a very high shock FC level.

We just assumed that replacing water would be a big expense. After our first reading (with the CYA test in our 6-way kit) the pool calculator told us to replace 80% of the water!

How would we replace the water? Where does it drain to?

We just assumed that replacing water would be a big expense
It almost never is. If that was my pool, I would do a 1/3 to 1/2 water replacement and drain it anywhere that was convenient. It's harmless enough to swim in so, unless you intentionally try to kill some plants by direct application (I doubt that you could), it won't hurt a thing.

Don't add any more chlorine until you make the decision to drain or not.

Check your water bill to determine your water cost.

If you can not isolate floor drains, you may need to rent a submersible pump and drain the water wherever you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay. Thanks. I'll return those jugs of bleach to the shelf and talk to my husband and out replacing water.

Can we drain it through the backwash valve of the filter or is there a better way?
Do we just have a hose running full force into the pool while the other water runs out? I'm concerned about damage to the liner if we empty it too far?

Do we rent a pump and pump water out then treat what remains before we start filling it again? We need to help.

Ayn

Do we just have a hose running full force into the pool while the other water runs out?
That's the most cautious way. It is fine to pump it out through "waste" as a better option than "backwash". I would take out about a foot of water and then refill doing partial drain/refill cycles. it takes a bit more water but not that much really.

Do not use the backwash setting ... waste could be used if you have it.

You should be able to drain down to leaving 1 foot in the shallow end without worrying about the liner.

Then refill, circulate, and then retest to see what needs adjusted.

ayngrubb said:
Okay. Thanks. I'll return those jugs of bleach to the shelf and talk to my husband and out replacing water.

Can we drain it through the backwash valve of the filter or is there a better way?
Do we just have a hose running full force into the pool while the other water runs out? I'm concerned about damage to the liner if we empty it too far?

Do we rent a pump and pump water out then treat what remains before we start filling it again? We need to help.

Ayn
If you have a main drain in the bottom of the pool that can be isolated, the running your sand filter on backwash or waste will work. Otherwise, as soon as you get below the skimmers, you'll suck air and that's the end of it.

Renting a pump will also work. Leave a foot or so of water in the shallow end so the liner stays put.

I just drained my pool to replace the liner by using bypass to waste on the filter. I simply placed my vaccuum hose in the skimmer and weighted the other end of the hose down in the bottom of the pool. You will need to leave at least a foot to protect your liner. I was able to drain all but the last couple inches.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.