White stains in dark-bottom pool

Apr 28, 2013
I know this is probably a repost and I apologize profusely for that but I couldn't find a related topic in an existing thread.

I have a dark-bottom pool and since about eight months after we built it, white stains have been appearing throughout. I was told it has to do with not keeping the pH levels right but no matter how diligently I track them, the spots don't seem to fade or change. They are throughout the pool and spa including over the bottom of the pool when the vaccum travels.

I have those colored test strips for dummies and manage the chemical levels as closely as possible.

Any advice anyone has so that I can get the pool's plaster back to its original, pristine condition?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to tfp, MyOwnPoolGuy :wave:

MyOwnPoolGuy said:
I know this is probably a repost and I apologize profusely for that but I couldn't find a related topic in an existing thread.
The google search box at the lower left of each page is the best way to find stuff on the site...with that said, it is fine that you are starting your own post.

A picture or two of what you are seeing would be helpful.

MyOwnPoolGuy said:
I have those colored test strips for dummies and manage the chemical levels as closely as possible.
Test strip results tend to be very inaccurate/outright misleading. You need an appropriate test kit to deal with your pool investment. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison ...the tf-100 is the most bang for buck.

We need good reliable results for FC, CC, ph, TA, CH, and cya to start helping you investigate your pools staining. If you have pool store results you can post them...but they tend to be much less reliable then the results you will get yourself with the test kits in the link above.

Welcome to TFP!

That sounds like calcium scaling, which occurs when you let some combination of PH, TA, and/or CH get too high. If it is indeed calcium scale the only reliable way to remove them is to drain the pool and manually acid wash the scaled areas.

If I am diagnosing the problem correctly based on your pictures, I highly doubt that anything can be done to make the surface color uniform and dark again.
The white spots actually go deep (about 4 mm) and would require severe and intensive sanding to restore the consistant gray color.

It is a plastering defect, and the plasterer should be willing to make it right by re-plastering.

See this blog: scientific-evidence-on-plaster-spotting-t57853.html

Well, I finally got around to using the TF-100 test kit instead of the strips. I am a little concerned that I have been running a science experiment and not a swimming pool. I also think this may have something to do with the white spots.

Can anyone give me a hand on first steps to getting this thing back in control or is fire the only answer?

Total chlorine- 0.0
pH - 7.0
TA - 130
CH - 3,125.0
CYA - 100+ (I couldn't see the black dot about a quarter inch below the 100 mark)

Unfortunately, yes. I started with a 25mL sample and got above 100 drops before I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. Then, I switched to the 10mL sample and counted to 125 drops when the mixture finally turned blue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It sounds like you are doing the test right.

I have heard it mentioned on here that anything above 900 is basically unmanageable and scaling will eventually occur. Do you know or could you test what your fill water CH is?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.