1.5"poly- can't find barbed fitting to transition to 2" PVC

Apr 14, 2013
I have 1.5" poly lines. When I installed my Intellifo, I upgraded the pad to 2" lines. However, where the poly comes out of the ground requires an immediate 90 degree elbow. I did this with a 1.5" barb 90 degree with 1.5" spigot which then glued into the 2" bushing. I need to improve flow to the Intelliflo - I figure this 1.5" hard 90 degree elbow is probably a big bottleneck.

I'm looking for a 1.5" barb -> 2" spigot elbow OR a 1.5"Barb ->2" spigot straight piece so I can then put a 2" sweet elbow on. I can't seem to find either of these on the Internet. Anybody know where I can source one? Thanks!

Re: 1.5"poly- can't find barbed fitting to transition to 2"

Could you dig down and transition to 2" PVC on the vertical and then use a 2" 90?
How much straight pipe do you have before the pump? That pump manual states a pretty long strait shot as I recall.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Yes I may be able to cut the pipe back and use a 1.5" straight barb and then using a 2" bushing before the elbow. This still may require an additional sweep to bring it back around the heater.

I'm assuming a few 2" sweep elbows would be much more efficient than a short hard 1.5" barb elbow?

I have enough room to have a 2ft straight piece before the pump.

That is what i'm after:) If there is a big flow gain, i'll rip it up and redo. Will cost me a new XF union but otherwise I have most of the fittings

Does anybody actually know how much more efficient TWO 2" sweep elbows would be vs. ONE 1.5" hard elbow. I can't seem to find any data that describes efficiency of elbows. Thanks - I just want to ensure this is worth doing since I have to use 2x 2" elbows instead of one.

So I have the day off today to fix this all up and go to the pool store. Had a good luck at it this morning - would appreciate some comments on whether or not i'll get flow rate improvements or not. Option B requires me to get around the heater where Option A just clears it..So more fiitings in Option B but elbows are gradual and I get rid of flex and get a nice straight line into the Intelliflo:

OPTION A: CURRENT STATE: 1.5" Black poly -> 1.5" Barb / Slip 90 Degree Elbow -> 2" Bushing -> 3 ft 2" Flex -> 2.5" Reducer -> Intelliflo (Flex makes a nice gradual 90 degree turn over 3 ft radius)

OPTION B: OPTIMIZED STATE: 1.5" Black Poly -> 1.5" Barb / Slip *STRAIGHT* -> 2" Bushing -> 90 Degree 2" elbow -> 6" 2" Rigid -> 45 Degree -> 6" Rigid -> 45 Degree -> 24" Rigid -> 90 Degree Sweep -> 24" Straight into intelliflo

I would stick with plan A. Plan B has more total degrees of turn and more total pipe length. That is balanced out by gentler curves and larger pipe. B might be better, might be worse, but even if better isn't a clear enough improvement to justify the effort.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I keep hearing that is important to have 12"+ of pure straight pipe before the intelliflo. Right now I have flex going straight in. I can see the intelliflo struggling to get enough flow at higher rpms (1800+ RPM). Should I atleast make a transition from the flex to nice long straight piece with a 45 elbow?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.