Why running a SWG in day time is better than at night?

During the day the sun is using up the available chlorine whether the swg is on or not, so it is then when you need to maintain a high enough FC level so that algae won't start (the sun is also fueling any potential algae). At night, unless there are swimmers or other organics in the pool, there is nothing using the chlorine so your level should maintain without the swg.

But, as long as the FC never drops below the minimum, then you can run the pump when you want. Especially if your power is cheaper at night.

Just verify in the evening before the pump comes on that the FC is still high enough.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The key is the early evening test right after the sun has gone down. Without the SWG running during the sunny hours, this is when your FC will be at its lowest. My parents run their SWG up until Noon, when their electric rates take a jump. They have had to experiment with run time and duty cycle to get their minimum FC needs to be met consistently.

I am on a level rate plan, so I just run. Mine from 7:00 am until 5:00 pm.

Good points! High peak electrical rates might be a good reason to run off-peak (we don't have that issue here). In the end, as long as the minimum FC (swg) level is maintained, all should be good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.