intex PVC hard plumbing

I am currently hard plumbing my new sand filter to my 16x48 Intex pool, including adding a thru wall skimmer. I have done a lot of research on this before starting the project, which led me to join this group. I'd like to thank everyone for posting such valuable knowledge.

So I'm adapting 1-1/2" PVC to the intex fittings. As many have pointed out, Intex uses non standard thread size. I have made a discovery that i haven't seen anyone post yet. I cut the thin plastic Intex hoses off flush with the (non standard thread) fittings and found that the 1-1/2" PVC fittings(coupler,elbows ETC) will slide onto the Intex fitting. Its a tight fit, and you'll have to be quick once the cement is applied. It helped a lot to "dry fit" each one into the fitting first to kinda "pre-taper" the intex fitting.

This eliminates some adapters and shaving fittings that others have done.

Jason

I should add this note. Dont forget to put the nut on the Intex fitting before gluing it to the PVC fitting :wink:

I also used flexible PVC "spa hose" to eliminate the need for multple 45 degree elbows to bend around the pool with hard PVC pipes. The spa hose is just as thick and strong as the PVC pipes. Its available at Home Depot, Lowes ETC. A bit more expensive, but I got mine from work for free.

Also this:
I eliminated the "extra hole" problem by installing the thru-wall skimmer where the original return jet is. The skimmer is a "hydro tools" brand, exactly like the Hayward most people are using. I made my new large square skimmer hole so that the bottom of the square hole lined up with the bottom of the original round hole. Just so happens to work out so the top of the square hole is just under the top seam of the liner. My return jet will now be where the original intake port is. This reverses the intake and output on the pool itself, and lowers the jet, but I don't mind. I'll just aim the jet upward more to point the flow to the water surface.

I cut a couple to try this. A little snug is an understatement. I'm not saying you can't, but it was well worth the $1.25/box end fitting IMHO to be done with it. I don't think I could have gotten them on in time with glue...I could barely fit it on with a screw driver prying.

I'm trying to figure out where you guys are getting the threaded adapter that you replaced the plastic tube with on the outlets on these mods..

Its my understanding you just re-used the hole and shoved this threaded thing inside the hole..

Can anyone post pics or show the thing thats in the hole from both sides or a link to amazon etc where you can find it?

Not sure what the alternative is here to this setup.. i see mentions of the box adapter, but it still presents the same issue, there is no threading on the default outlet port to attach to from a pvc/box adapter threaded 1.5 ring setup?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.