Pool pump choices for 27' AGP

Signed up here a year or so ago but just now getting ready to put the pool up. I have a 4' deep, 27' above ground pool I'm going to install. I did buy this pool used and it came with the pump and filter setup. The motor is a 1.5HP Hayward power-flo LX (brand new), single speed, 70gpm pump. This system also came with a STA-RITE T-200BP-1 sand filter. Pool is going to be a touch over 17,000 gallons.

I plan on purchasing the Jandy AquaPure EI SWG for the pool as I'm familiar with this type of application in a temporary pool we had for a couple of years.

My questions are:

1. Yes, the motor is new but I've run the calculations for energy use and I figure I could easily drop down to a single speed 1/2hp pump and still run for 6-8 hours per day and use roughly half of the energy of the 1.5hp pump. Should I look at a different type of motor such as a 2 speed? I plan on only swapping the motor at this time but now is my chance to do something different. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I want to do this right.

2. Should I run a different type of filter such as a DE filter? I bought all new guts for the sand filter last year but again, now is the chance to upgrade if needed.

3. I don't have a cleaner or vacuum yet for this pool so not sure if my motor choice would affect this or not. Interested in suggestions here as well.

Bottom line. I want to order parts next week so I want to get this straightened out. My kilowatt hour price is $.1223. If I can use 1/4 of the electricity it would be worth I think it would be worth it.

Thanks for the help!!

There a few ways to switch a 2-speed pump.
1) You can use a timer to run the pump and use a manual switch to control the speeds.
2) You can use a dual timer to control the runtime and speeds.
3) You can use a manual switch to control the pump.
4) If you have an automation system, it can control the runtime and speed.

So yes, you'll need either a manual switch or a 2-speed timer.

DanielP said:
I would not do a motor only replacement. The pump requires a 1.5 hp motor @ 3450 rpm. look at the hp*service factor on old motor to determine min sfhp for new motor if you keep same pump.

What would the downfall be to a smaller pump which is still turning the same rpm in high speed? Even in low speed the gpm would drop but not sure how this would have an adverse effect on the motor. Is the pump itself taking on too much water volume that a smaller hp motor may be overcome? Just curious what the theory is behind your thinking. I appreciate the thoughts on this. Also my pump does not have a service factor listed that I can see.

Here is the label off the current pump:
photo11_zps4dbd3f63.jpg

Daniel is correct. You can't put a smaller motor on a pump without changing the impeller. You can put a larger motor on a smaller impeller, but not a smaller motor on a larger impeller. The impeller determines how much work is done.

A 1.5 hp pump on a 1 hp motor can burn up the motor when you hit the higher flow rates like when backwashing or pumping to waste after a big rain.

the downfall of a smaller pump on bigger motor would not be a big issue just may be less efficient than properly sized motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DanielP said:
I just got the 1hp model of your pump/motor this month and i feel its too much for my 2.2 sqft filter. My next purchase will be a 3/4 hp 2 speed setup. If i can find a 3/4 hp impeller for our pump i will be purchasing that for the short term.

Well my pool and sand filter is essentially the same size as yours Daniel and I was thinking as I stated above that even a 1/2hp pump should be sufficient. But I will check out the 3/4hp two speed. My sand filter does state that it requires 44gpm minimum so low speed would have to pump at least that much considering head loss & gain factors.

You may be correct about the 1/2 hp. there is an "expert" on here that i think uses a 1/2 horse for a similar pool but he may be using a bigger filter for better flow. I would eventually like to make a solar panel so i will probably stick with a 3/4 hp in the future.

DanielP said:
You may be correct about the 1/2 hp. there is an "expert" on here that i think uses a 1/2 horse for a similar pool but he may be using a bigger filter for better flow. I would eventually like to make a solar panel so i will probably stick with a 3/4 hp in the future.

I noticed in the pump 101 info it recommends a 3.2sqft. sand filter for 17,500 gallons which means my 2.18sqft. filter is too small as it is. Do you know if he is running sand, de, or something else?

Bow_Extreme said:
My sand filter does state that it requires 44gpm minimum so low speed would have to pump at least that much considering head loss & gain factors.
That minimum flow is just for backwashing. In filter mode it doesn't matter what the flow is. The slower the better.

Bama Rambler said:
[quote="Bow_Extreme":le4wibkt] My sand filter does state that it requires 44gpm minimum so low speed would have to pump at least that much considering head loss & gain factors.
That minimum flow is just for backwashing. In filter mode it doesn't matter what the flow is. The slower the better.[/quote:le4wibkt]

Thanks for the info. :goodjob:

So 1/2hp it will be and I'm thinking 2" pvc but still wondering which pump is the best choice. Do they make a 1/2hp two speed or are they only single speed? I was checking out the 1/2hp Pentair superflo and it seems to be a single speed. All this help is greatly appreciated!!

Anyone want to buy a almost new 1-1/2hp Hayward Power Flo LX....lol I will make you a very good deal

Found:

Single Speed
Pentair SuperFlo Pump 1/2 HP Energy Efficient Model 348021
115v=8.8amps
220v=4.4-4.5amps

Dual Speed
Pentair SuperFlo Pump 1HP Energy Efficient Model 340042
220v only
Full Speed=6.0 amps
Half Speed=2.3amps

Dual speed seems the way to go but I still have to invest in a new timer or switch or something.

Open to other options as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.