How to plug holes in plastic ladder?

Apr 16, 2013
Eatonton Georgia
It's a long story I won't get into but my pool had an A frame ladder that was really too big for it and when I built a side deck, I couldn't convert it to a deck ladder. I came upon a plastic deck ladder for free and I'm trying to install it but the previous owner apparently drilled holes near the bottom of legs of the the ladder where it won't hold enough water to weight down the bottom of it. I have no idea why. Even with the top attached to my deck the bottom floats around till you get your weight on it. I'm OK with it but my wife dislikes it that way. So how would I go about plugging up the drilled holes? I know there are not may glues that will stick to the type of white plastic the ladder is made of. I really don't care if the hole plugs are watertight because I'd actually like to put sand in the legs to weigh them down but I can't have sand coming out into the pool.
Thoughts an suggestions are welcome...
Regards,
Michael

Noah_Count said:
Richard320 said:
Silicon caulk.
OK, wasn't sure that would stick. Holes are about 3/8", Think I can get the caulk to stay in there with nothing else? I still can't figure out why the holes were drilled but the ladder was free. Literally pulled from the scrap heap!
Michael
If the ladder is acrylic resin or polystyrene or ABS, it should hold. Maybe not absolutely water tight, but tight enough to hold in the sand! Maybe rough up the area a little with some fine sandpaper.

The plastics that are hard to get things to stick to are polyethylene and polypropylene - tupperware, ziplock bags, ice chests, that kind of thing. And the really expensive engineering plastics like Nylon, Delrin, and Teflon, but a ladder made out of them would cost more than even the government would pay!

Another option might be a plug

008236716702lg.jpg

You probably have some caulk laying around the house already, so use it first. If it doesn't stick, peel it off and try something else!

The ladder is " blow molded". Made by Confer plastics. I'm not sure what it is but I thought it was the type of stuff that was hard to find glue that would stick. The plugs seem like they will be the ticket. I have to go to Lowes anyway. Appreciate it!
Michael

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.