Beginning Conversion Question

Apr 14, 2013
I am new to the forum. We have a 30,000 gallon in-ground pool and have been using Baquacil for approx. 10 years. (We have well water, if that makes a difference.) As I've read in other posts, the Baquacil worked great for quite a few years. We had no problems maintaining it for the first 7 years or so, but for the past 3 or 4 years, we have struggled to keep it right. Main problem is with what I think is mustard algae; had sand changed last year, and can usually clear up any other problems like cloudy water, etc. After a lot of thought, talking with others and reading posts in this forum, we've decided to covert to chlorine and purchase a SWG.

I have read and printed the 'Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine' information in the Pool School section and ordered one of the recommended test kits, which came in today. I called the company where we get our pool supplies and told them that we would like to convert; they were also the ones who installed the pool. She sent a one page instruction sheet that has several steps after the pH adjustment but prior to adding the Chlorine. The sheet that they sent says:
1. Adjust the pH to 6.8 - 7.0 (in highly buffered pools, try to get pH as close to 7 as possible, avoiding excessive acid addition).
2. Add four pounds of Pool Breeze Non-Chlorine Shock per 10,000 gallon of pool water.
3. Add a chlorine compatible chelating agent.
4. Filter continuously for 48 hours.
5. After 48 hours, readjust pH to 7.2 - 7.8.
Then it starts directions for 'shock-chlorinating' the pool daily, preferably in the evening.

My question is whether it's necessary to do these steps after the pH adjustment prior to starting what the Pool School recommends? If they are not necessary, I don't want to do them, and your directions seem very clear and achieve what appears to be great results. Any comments or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you. :)

Scroll through This forum and look for
icon_topic_attach.gif
That means pictures.

Reading others' conversion stories (can I get an A-men?) and seeing the pictures should encourage you to just go the bleach route. You'll be using a bunch of it, so you might want to do a little comparison shopping. Sometimes the 12.5% stuff from a pool store or hardware store is a better deal per %-oz than Chlorox at the warehouse stores.

I eagerly await the pictures. :colors:

Ignore their directions....they add extra work. Their next step if you follow their theory will be taking your water in for testing as your pool will be green still. They will then suggest more "shock"....and the cycle begins. Follow the pool school article and you'll be fine. Their "pool breeze shock" is just Cal-Hypo. Save a few bucks and go with bleach. We're here for any questions!

When was the last time you added Baquail Sanatizer??

Thanks so much for the responses and for the warm welcome. :) I had looked at the pics and read the comments in the threads that I had made my way through and had a pretty good feeling that the TFP directions were the right way to go. I guess that I just needed that extra bit of reassurance that it was okay to not follow the pool store's instruction sheet. ;)

Thank you for the suggestion about comparing the pool store prices of the 12.5% versus Chlorox per %-oz, Richard320. That makes sense.

We haven't put any chemicals in since probably October, so no Baquacil Sanitizer since then, Leebo. I've been sort of putting off starting up with the chemicals while we made the decision by reading this forum and talking with friends who've converted. We do clean it year-round pretty regularly with an Aquabot to keep most of the debris out and to help 'sweep up' the algae from the pool floor and sides, though it doesn't get 100%.

I will check the pH tomorrow and see where we are to get started, and will take photos. :) Thank you again.

If you hadn't added any Baquacil since October, then odds say that the levels will be VERY low. This should result in your favor. The less Baquacil the Chlorine has to "kill off"....the quicker it can work on cleaning up the pool.

As for the pool stores suggestion.....
Following their guidelines, the first dose of "shock" you'll add will raise your FC level up to about 35ish. Your pool will immediately turn a nasty greenish color (as all do once you first add chlorine) and the chlorine will QUICKLY be consumed. Odds say in about 20minutes you could test your FC level....and it will be around zero. You will then run the pump for the next two days trying to filter out this green.....with zero chlorine. The TFP process has you continue to add chlorine the entire time to stay at a 15FC level, speeding up the swap and not allowing anything the chance to grow in your water.

First swap of the year....and you've picked a good time to do it. You'll quickly enjoy the benefits of chlorine over the expense of Baquacil.

Cindy, just FYI...Walmart now has 8.25% bleach and it is really nice to have as an option. Our pool stores here don't carry liquid of any kind, and I never trust that it is fresh at the hardware stores. Best of luck on the conversion. Let us know how it goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you again for your comments and suggestions, Leebo. :) I started the process of adding the bleach one week ago today after getting the pH to the right level. Thank you too, Brushpup, for the info about the 8.25% at Walmart; I had found it there and at several grocery stores, so that is what I've been using. Our pool store didn't have any of the 12.5% either; we live in a very small, rural area.

I have taken photos every day, and it seems to be coming along. We had a lot of the algae on the floor and sides of the pool, (rust colored, but I'm thinking that it is mustard algae, as I mentioned in my first post), so that has 'eaten up' a lot of the chlorine. I will try to post photos hopefully this weekend, but trying to get ready for vacation and extra-busy at work... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.