CLOUDY WATER

carl

May 24, 2008
First time on this site. Very informative. Have an 18x 36 IG W/Deep End , 5TH season. Took off the mesh cover this year to find the pool looking just as it did all other years, green and murky.

This year I can't seem to get the water to be clear. The green algae cleared up with the pool openight package from Litehouse. Cart filter cleaned regularaly. I have had the pool in operation for about 3 weeks w pump/filter running almost continuously and don't know what to do to get the water clear....can barely see the shallow end bottom and definitely cannot see the deep end.

The pool was closed earlier than normal last year and some warmer weather came after the closing. Took water sample to Litehouse and had it tested. Alkalinity was low and added alk increaser and bromine level was high....brought that down. Bromine/alk/pH, all appear now to be in normal range.

I am concerned that this may be dead algae in small particles not filtering out. I am getting close to draining and starting over.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Two possibilities that come to mind. The first is that the sanitizer level hasn't been high enough for long enough to completely kill the algae in the pool. The other is that either the cartridge is dirty and needs to be soaked in acid, resulting in low flow, or the cartridge is damaged and is allowing debris to sneak through.

Hi, Carl,

welcome to the forum.

Are you sanitizing your pool with bromine or chlorine?

Secondly, how did the bromine (if that's what you're using) get high over the winter and how did you bring it down? Do you have it mixed up with pH?

JohnT said:
Two possibilities that come to mind. The first is that the sanitizer level hasn't been high enough for long enough to completely kill the algae in the pool. The other is that either the cartridge is dirty and needs to be soaked in acid, resulting in low flow, or the cartridge is damaged and is allowing debris to sneak through.

Thanks John.

Bromine level has beeen high for about two weeks plus. I did soak the cartridge this year. It appears that the cartridge is working well. Any way to check that the cartridge is damaged??

duraleigh said:
Hi, Carl,

welcome to the forum.

Are you sanitizing your pool with bromine or chlorine?

Secondly, how did the bromine (if that's what you're using) get high over the winter and how did you bring it down? Do you have it mixed up with pH?

Thanks Dave.

I am using bromine. I had the water checked about a week after the pool had been running with the bromine . The bromine was high at that time and I turned the brominator dial to low for a few days to regulate

Hey, Carl,

Not many here on the forum with bromine pools but, I can tell you your filter is capable of filtering dead algae. The cart would have to have physical damage to allow the agae (or whatever) thru.

YOu don't post any specific numbers so perhaps your bromine is too low and not killing off the algae. Posting a full set of test results will be most helpful in diagnosing the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.