Filter lost pressure

Apr 26, 2013
My filter pressure was 20psi this morning and I turned the pump off for about an hour then back on. Ten hours after turning the pump back on i'm still only reading 13psi which is what it reads after backwashing. I was wondering why the pressure isn't coming back up to the same level as it was before.

How is the flow at the return?

If it is low, the first place to look is for a blockage on the suction side of the pool, including partially closed valves, full skimmer, full leaf basket, or some other material plugging the pipes between the pool and the pump, or pump to filter.

Your experience is not completely unusual. When the pump is shut off in a tight system, there is a momentary bit of a "slam" in the filter as the pressure drops to zero. It's harmless and nothing to worry about but that can dislodge or disturb a bit of the debris in the filter and loosen it up enough so that water flows through more readily. Like you say, almost as if you backwashed.

I would backwash anyway and see if you don't get out quite a bit of debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.