Sodium Chloride vs Calcium Chloride to raise hardness

Apr 26, 2013
New Hampshire
Hi, I inadvertently added sodium chloride ( salt) to my pool ( 80lbs worth) thinking that it was calcium chloride. I noticed that it did not raise the hardness of the water and realized that I put in the wrong product.
Question: I plan on adding the correct product ( Calcium Chloride) tomorrow to raise the hardness. Will there be an issue with the salt already in the pool? The pool is 45,000 gallon gunite. Just opening for season . I use chlorine also. Thanks, and I'm glad that I found this forum. Cheers, Tom. :)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What kind of salt did you add? For a water softener? As long as there were not additives in it, all it will do is raise your salt level by a little over 200ppm ... pools that use salt water chlorine generators have salt levels around 3500ppm. So, no worries.

None - some people add salt to improve the feel of the water :)

You can use the Pool Calculator to see how high your salt level may be now. Use the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section, though there may already be some salt in the water to start with.

We're glad you found it too!

(Jbizzle beat me to it and made a very good point!)

Cheers! :cheers:

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, it said Morton pool salt on the label and stated that it had no additives and was pure. It also said something about use in water softeners too. Glad to hear that there won't be an issue. Won't make this mistake again. Looking back, the price for these bags were about one fifth of that of calcium chloride...now I know why. :-D

Thanks for the advice , much appreciated. The big test now is going to see if my Hayward Super II 2hp pump fires up after ten New Hampshire winters. Ran well when we shut her down in late September. Who knows, I may be asking advice on what brand pumps you recommend, but I hope not for now. :cheers: Fingers Crossed.

Welcome to tfp, Fretster :wave:

Adding 80 lbs of calcium chloride will move your CH level up 192 ppm, which is a big step and may not be warranted. If you want, post your TA, ph, CH, cya, salt and borate levels...if you do not know what I am asking for post back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.