This had to be brought up before but I can't it: Is there an

amati5

Sep 13, 2011
So Cal
...easy way to remove Pentair pump lid. It's one of those newer see-through type with 2 tabs to twist off. It takes a lot of strength to move it and once it moves, you'll scrape your skin off by hitting your hand on another equipment nearby. I always keep the oring lubed. I am not sure why the lid has cut-out slots on top but they sure collect dirt, though I don't think it's the reason why it's so hard to twist the lid off. I now have a rubber mallet kept onsite to tap on one of the tabs. Hope I won't break it.

I thought I was the only one with this problem until I heard other pools onwer complain too. One actually hurt his shoulder. Why can't they keep the old 2-crews design like the old Aquaflow. I noticed while Pentair make good products for the purpose but their designs are really backward when it comes to maintainance. They require tools to open up. For their filter (cartridge), I have to have a 7/8 ratchet wrench onsite too. Those 30 yrs old equipments had much better designs (Aquafow, Purex, etc....)

Re: This had to be brought up before but I can't it: Is ther

Try loosing the lid with the pump running.

You are not the only one with this problem. I cleaned mine, lubed the o-ring in March at opening. A few days later I needed to open again to clean. No can do. Husband finally got it loosened.

The big handle that I would use on my Super II Pump was sure a nice method. Hated the little knobs on the Hayward RS / Super Pump and now struggle to open the Pentair Superflo ...

Need to design a removable handle that fits the Pentair lids ... PATENT PENDING!!!!! :lol:

You might try opening the air relief valve on top of the filter housing once the pump is off. That would allow the air pressure to equalize inside the strainer basket and make the lid easier to turn since the suction will be gone.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I agree the older designs were easier on the user.. Can you post a pic?

You want a pic of the Aquaflow or the Pentair? I don't have the Aquaflow pump anymore and can't find one on the net. It was all metal, including the lid and had two big screws with handles on top to tighten down on the lid. The Pentair lid can be seen here:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/p ... mp-193.htm

Open with the pump running? Won't the pressure makes it even more tight? not to mention water will be all over place once openned.

May be I will try to open with the air-relief valve open.

Once you get the lid off use a medium viscosity pool valve lube (mine is in a tube with red printing) and apply it to the underside of the four tabs on the pump housing. Lube the O-ring, the groove it sets in in the clear cover, and lightly lube the upper surface of the cover at the outer diameter where it is in contact with the clamp ring. You will find that the lid assembly screws on much easier and you can tighten it more than before. Resist the urge to overtighten, just enough to maintain a seal. Then it should be easier to remove.

Or buy a lid wrench at a pool supply.

ceberly said:
Once you get the lid off use a medium viscosity pool valve lube (mine is in a tube with red printing) and apply it to the underside of the four tabs on the pump housing. Lube the O-ring, the groove it sets in in the clear cover, and lightly lube the upper surface of the cover at the outer diameter where it is in contact with the clamp ring. You will find that the lid assembly screws on much easier and you can tighten it more than before. Resist the urge to overtighten, just enough to maintain a seal. Then it should be easier to remove.

Or buy a lid wrench at a pool supply.

The wrench sounds good, didn't now it's existed. But you're right, I could never tighten it to the mark so I should try to lube it properly to prevent leaking. Lubing the underside of the housing sounds promising. thx for the info.

Yeah, I have a pentair pump and have scraped my knuckles more than a few times opening it up... by the end of last summer I was just kicking at one of the tabs with the bottom of my shoe/sandal until it loosened up enough to open easily. Maybe I should try to lube it this year...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.