Converting Jandy Stealth jhp2 pool motor with a 2 speed?

Apr 26, 2013
I currently have a Jandy Stealth jhp2 pool pump and single speed motor. I'd like the benefit of running a dual speed motor, without the cost of switching out my entire pool pump. Can I simply replace/rewire the motor itself? I've seen other topics on similar subjects and it would appear you can, but I'm not sure if there is a motor available that I can retrofit my pump with. Any guidance would be much appreciated, thanks.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You should be able to just switch out the motor and add a manual switch (or an extra timer to change speeds) ... your needs kind of depend on your setup. SO, Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thanks - information added to my signature:

Pool Size - Aprox 20,000 gallons
In-ground pool - plaster
DE Filter
2HP single speed pump/motor
Pool built in 2006
Attached spa
"The Pool Cleaner" pressure side cleaner

The same pump runs your spa correct? If so, then our usual recommendation of a smaller pump would not be good in your situation. So, we just need to find you a 2HP 2-speed motor. Some brands are also selling replacement caps for the back of the motor that have the switch built in, or you could wire your own switch closer to the timer.

What filter do you have? size? Is it bypassed while in spa mode or not?

BTW, can you please shorten the signature to a max of 5 lines as was stated in the link I sent you and the forum rules ... thanks :goodjob:

Signature corrected.

Yes, the same pump handles both the spa and pool. The filter is not bypassed when in "spa only" mode.

The filter is a Jandy Del60cp - its specs are:

Filter Area (ft2
) 60
Design Flow Rate (gpm/ft2
) 2.00
Max. Flow (gpm) 120
Six Hour Capacity (gal.) 43,200
Normal Start Up Pressure (psi) 6-15
Max. Working Pressure (psi) 50

OK, so that is a decent sized DE filter and the same size I had at my previous house with a 2HP motor running a spa as well.

Can you post more info from the motor plate ... specifically looking for the HP and the Service Factor for reference. I assume it is wired for 230V too correct?

[s:32bk4ha0]I think you are looking for a B985 motor.[/s:32bk4ha0] EDIT: or NOT the B985

For the JHP looks like you either want the B977 (1.5HP*1.3SF) or the B979/B2979 (2HP*1.2SF) ... depends what you current motor is.

Plus you will need a new seal kit and some sort of switch.

EDIT2: Here is one example of a switch that I think would work for those motors: http://www.poolplaza.com/merchant.mv?Sc ... gory_Code=

The current motor is a 2.0HP, but it was upgraded by the pool builder at the time of installation - i.e. more hp's are better. Would knocking it down to the 1.5hp model be a problem? Obviously, less flow on the higher setting might impact my pressure side cleaner? It runs off a return jet and does not have a dedicated booster pump, but gets around fine. Would losing the extra .5hp on the high speed make it unusable?

Thanks for all the great info - love this site.

But what is the Service Factor listed on your existing motor?

You could certainly go smaller, but that could impact your spa jet strength? And might impact the cleaner, but many use them with smaller pumps, can you isolate more return flow to the cleaner?

The only concern with going with a smaller motor is that you have to ensure that the impeller is not designed for a larger motor ... if the impeller is bigger, you can burn out the smaller motor, but a smaller impeller could be bought and installed as well if required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure on most of those questions - except, yes, I can isolate flows. Typically during normal pool operation, the water will flow to both the pool and the spa - the spa creates a small waterfall into the pool - this can be altered with a small valve that cuts off the spa and isolates the pool. I can isolated the spa as well, typically just for heating purposes. Probably makes sense to go with the 2HP model I'm guessing - thanks again.

The switch mentioned in this post is a manual switch, correct? This would require no additional wiring to my timer - I'd simply have to manually determine when to change modes?

Yes the switch can mount directly on the pump and there would be no changes to the existing wiring ... on LINE would go to the common terminal on the new pump and the other LINE would go to the center of the switch and then 2 wires from the switch go to the Low and High speed terminals.

If you wanted to put a switch remotely, you would need to add another wire from the switch to the pump for a total of 4 including the ground.

I am not 100% sure which of the motor switches will fit on the motor you need ... there are a few different designs I have seen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.