No valve to release pump pressure & clean basket

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
We had an above ground pool installed just over a week ago. Still trying to figure out everything. Today I noticed the pump basket needed to be cleaned out. But there is no way to release the water pressure going in to the pump. There is no valve between the skimmer and the pump. I opened the lid of the pump pot anyway (dumb). Of course water spewed out so I immediately attempted to screw it back on. But, because the pump is not fastened to anything (It's just sitting loose on a concrete block) I can't get it back on securely - so water continues to spray out of the pump.

A. Shouldn't the installer have installed some type of valve so that the pressure to the pump can be shut off?
B. Is there any way I can install a valve at this point with the pool full of water?
C. What's the best way to secure the pump to something solid?
D. Besides brute strength, is there any trick to getting the lid back on tight when there's no way to release pressure?

A valve is nice, but you can also plug the opening in the bottom of the skimmer. An expanding test plug works well. Even a rubber ball will shut most of the water off.

You'll find them more like this at hardware stores

115741_front200.jpg

Re: No valve to release pump pressure & clean basket

I was thinking a racket ball, there're rubber. Might seal alittle better for you. If it seals pretty good get a valve on there. You should also get one on the return side. You can use one of the plugs pictured in the return, just take the return jet out and use the plug in its place. Then you can put a valve on the return side also.

Just my 0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.