1st House, First pool. Advice?

Cubist

Apr 26, 2013
Hi everyone. I’m sure you guys see a lot of these posts this time of year, sorry for this… Please bear with my noob first post. I just want to say hello & get some advice.

I just signed the purchase contract on my first house. The house will be coming with my first pool. We never had a pool growing up, so my knowledge of maintenance/ upkeep is minimal to zero.

Pool is IG, 26-28k gallons based on some paperwork I have from a work order, enclosed, gunite, the pool was renovated in 2010 (about $17k worth) The pump, filter, heat pump were replaced then. I do not know the brand & model specifics. I will find out. The pool has been winterized, but I do not think it was opened last season. The seller is going to clean and open the pool prior to our closing date. My plan is to be there when the pool company comes to do the work (seller lives out of state, so this may be hard to arrange). I am hoping the guys that do the opening, can give me a crash course on how the pump valves work, how to clean the filter, etc.

Once the pool is open and the levels are good, I am thinking of doing the BBB method as it sounds both easy & cost effective. My current hobby (about 15 years) is keeping saltwater reef aquariums. It’s a rather expensive hobby (but rewarding). I hope that this hobby will help me transition into being a pool owner. As with my reef tanks, I have no issues sinking money into quality water test kits & fully accept the need to test regularly. I assume the pool will be a similar idea. Save money where I can, don’t cut corners where I shouldn’t & find a community that can help me learn the difference.

I am very excited about having the pool & I think my young family will get a LOT of use out of it. (I currently pay around $140 a month for our gym memberships that we really only use to swim). Just looking for some advice on getting started on the pool venture & what to look for/ ask questions about after we get settled in.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, Cubist :wave:

If you haven't already...make sure you spend some time in poolschool (link at upper right), test kit info in this article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison...the tf-100 is the most bang for buck.

Thanks. I did a lot of reading in the Pool School last night when I found the site. A LOT of great info in there. Bookmarked for sure. I'm planning to order the tf-100 kit and have it in hand when we move in. :cool:

Sounds like your already on the right path, another useful tool is the 'THe Pool calculator', it will allow you to plug in your tests results and tell you the dosages, if any.

If you husband looks after a salt water aquarium I'll bet he'll have no problems implementing BBB.

cramar said:
Sounds like your already on the right path, another useful tool is the 'THe Pool calculator', it will allow you to plug in your tests results and tell you the dosages, if any.

If you husband looks after a salt water aquarium I'll bet he'll have no problems implementing BBB.

Yep. Already have the pool calculator installed on my phone.

No husband BTW. The tanks are mine.

cramar said:

I think she looks after those reef tanks, which in my experience will make caring for her pool a breeze.

elwood58 said:
I think she looks after those reef tanks, which in my experience will make caring for her pool a breeze.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for. I assume it's the same basic principal. Keep an eye on water quality & chemical levels in order to make minor corrections when needed & this will allow me to avoid major problems. with reef tanks, the bigger the tank volume the more "fudge factor" you have with chemical, temp, salinity swings. with a smaller tank swings happen quite quickly & I have to really be on top of things. My 90 gallon reef at home is very stable. My 5 gallon tank at my office takes a bit more work. I'm hoping with 26,000 or so gallons to work with I will have smooth sailing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.