Really basic question - When to open???

Jul 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I've looked and can't seem to find a topic on this.

I don't really have a preference on when I open, but I know some people recommend closing when water temperature reaches a certain level to inhibit organic growth so I don't know if there is a similar thought process for opening.

This will be my first open ever, and my first summer using BBB. I have a winter cover, not a safety cover. I also want to put the type of skimmer and eye socket in that will allow me to cover them for winter closings so I don't have to drain the water.

Any thoughts on the above? Thanks! :-D

Thanks for the advice. I just get jealous of the posts from the people in Texas that are already open!

Do you have any thoughts on skimmer cover for winter closing? I just don't want to drain and refill. I'm on city water and my water pressure is absurdly low. Are there any structural concerns with leaving the pool full during the winter?

[s:2dblb9rm]I personally don't like em, I think there is too much that could go wrong if they start to leak in my case where my water is totality frozen.[/s:2dblb9rm]retracted for igp, see note below

We have been open for weeks here. Kids have only been swimming once but I love seeing the sparkling water instead of the winter cover! I live in northern Connecticut and when it is below freezing I leave the filter running.
I closed late(Halloween) and when I opened it was perfect!

I just realized your pool is igp not agp (don't know why I thought agp)...for igps and in your climate I think people have had luck with skimmer covers...hopefully someone with direct experience will chime in.

I opened early and am very glad I did. I had the majority of water on the cover pumped off. Got it all opened and last week it rained a TON! I would have had to start over pumping water off the cover. However, the water is still plenty cold to have kept it closed. But I have some LC from last year that I'm ready to use up and I hate looking at a cover.

Simplest answer: now :D

Next week we will have 4 days in a row of 70s+.. the third day will be 80. I'm hoping with some luck, solar cover and a minimal amount of (gas) heat, I can get it up to 85 by day 4 for one good swim before it drops back into the mid 50s.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.