Saltwater pool murky - how to do a no drain acid wash

Apr 26, 2013
Help we bought house last spring past owners opened pool but didn't leave instruction and I can't get them to email me back. They use to do a 'no drain acid wash'. Pool is 30,000 gallons salt water, no winter cover, have vacuumed, shocked and not murky darkish blue color but sides of walls have white scaling on them. I have tried everything. Please someone tell me all the steps to do the 'no drain acid wash' ALL THE STEPS so i can get this pool fixed. Desperate for help.. The pool is the smooth finish like those of the viking pools.

Welcome to TFP.

Acid washing is hard on the pool surface. Before you even consider an acid wash, you need to understand the water chemistry you are dealing with. It's much easier to prevent than to acid wash at all. It sounds like you have a fiberglass pool, so any calcium you have in the water is either naturally occuring or it has been added to the pool. For certain, stop using any form of calcium hypochlorite shock or chlorination granules.

It's important to know the calcium hardness of your fill water and the calcium hardness of your pool water, along with the pH of the water. You need an accurate and complete set of test results to choose your course. It may be possible to simply maintain a low pH level and avoid the problem in the future.

It would be helpful if we knew the region where you live. In some parts of the country, there are resources for dealing with high calcium levels that aren't available in other areas.

okay I tested and here are results and picture of water

Can't totally see to bottom, a cloudy blueish color.

FC: 1-2
PH:7.5
TA:180
CH:200
CYA: out of testing chemical
Stabilizer: low

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 199
Missouri- Middle of the state. Last year when we bought pool it was clear all summer no problems with anything. It is a salt water pool and we cleaned the filters several times by rinsing with garden hose.

CYA: 10

I read those handouts that is why I am here now, since I can't get it to work it's self out..

30000 gallon fiberglass, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420, Pentair Whisperflow WF-23, Pentair Intellichlor Generator

Put the information in your signature like that link describes so we do not have to search for this 1 post with your details in it, thanks.

Well, if you have read those, why are you not following the shock process to clear up the water?

Did you buy more CYA reagent? Do you have one of the recommended test kits that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test?

You need to raise the CYA to 30ppm and then maintain a FC level 12 ppm until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, you need to invest in a better kit as at this point you can not test the FC and CC accurately.

And the test strips tend to not be worth anything as they are too unreliable and subjective.

I have shocked twice already (did that first) then added algaecide which helped tremendously since water was gross from winter, vacuumed and dipped out leaves and stuff. Then add some MA to reduce the PH and add a 3 part 1 step salt water opening/maintenance stuff (lowers metals, etc). We have been trying to contact first owners to get more information on pool, I calculated pool gallons and depending on the one we use I show less gallons than original owners told us.

Okay, so I have done everything to the T, even in the cold misty rain all weekend. PH is down, alkalinity is down, FC and Chlorine registers good have shocked and shocked cleaned filters and still Cloudy water..I just don't get it.

Be more specific. What FC level are you maintaining? Did you raise your CYA to 20-30ppm to protect the FC from the sun?

Ignore pH and TA until the shock process is complete.

We want numbers not "registered good".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.