construction method - is this really the right way?

txt4

Dec 7, 2012
I'm a little concerned about what I saw my PB doing to the gunite shell, could anyone comment on whether this is normal building practice?

The design had a short, straight vertical wall above grade, like you would have around a conventional gunite above-grade spa, only straight.
I expected the crew to form with plywood, but instead they used 1/8" pegboard supported by 1x4, 4' o.c. I had my doubts, but they claimed they knew what they were doing.
Well, as I expected, the sides came out wavy, and out of plumb by up to 3" horizontal in 12" vertical. To straighten this out, they came back 3 weeks later with a circular saw and power chisel, and spent a day and a half systematically chiseling away chunks of gunite until the walls were at least straight (they couldn't get them vertical since they were already exposing the rebar in places, but now it is only about 1" over 12" out of plumb) and then added a finish layer of concrete over that.

So my questions:
Is this the standard way to finish the form-side of an above-grade wall? Is there any risk that the structural integrity has been compromised by all the chiseling? If so, what should I do?
Is there any way at this point to get the wall vertical?
If this was not the correct way to tackle the job, how should it have been done?

Mine used same pegboard. But they shaped it on the front with tools to make sure plumb and level on the pool side and straight with aid of mason line. Then removed pegboard and did same to backside. Turned out pretty straight, plumb, and level.

AZHeat said:
Mine used same pegboard. But they shaped it on the front with tools to make sure plumb and level on the pool side and straight with aid of mason line. Then removed pegboard and did same to backside. Turned out pretty straight, plumb, and level.

Thanks, that sounds sensible. They did shape the inside but left the forms in place on the outside, with the pegboard still wired in place.

skylar18 said:
My gunite crew used the pegboard sheets for the above grade sections today. Came out perfectly straight.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.
Did it get shaped afterward, like AZHeat suggested below, or did the pegboard hold straight? Do you remember what spacing they used for the support boards?

Could you post some pictures of the area in question?

Sounds like somebody didn't do a very good job forming up for the pour. Or maybe one of the supports broke and it was just bad luck.

Are you saying that after the did the shaping the wall is still not straight up and down?

harleysilo said:
Could you post some pictures of the area in question?

Sounds like somebody didn't do a very good job forming up for the pour. Or maybe one of the supports broke and it was just bad luck.

Are you saying that after the did the shaping the wall is still not straight up and down?

The gunite crew shaped the inside of the wall, it is great, straight, plumb, no problem. The outside of the wall was never touched, the forms were left on with the pegboard warped and twisted. Maybe pegboard always does that, maybe there wasn't enough support, I don't really know. I'm just curious how it "should" have been done since I've not had a pool built before, and this just doesn't seem right.

The PB sent another crew out about 3 weeks later to straighten up the outside of the wall. Now it is straight enough to get tile on it, but not plumb. That's not a big issue though, it would be nice to have a plumb surface, but not essential; at least the angle is constant. It's a 'feature', and it should be stronger because the wall is thicker at the base. My main concern is whether the chiseling may have compromised the integrity of the gunite itself.

As far as I could see, nothing broke.

Attachments

• pool.jpeg
    pool.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 268
I had the gunite shot incorrectly in one section. They had to chisel it away and exposed rebar in the process. They put some sealer over the exposed rebar, but after fill I ended up with a 2" x 2" rust stain in the pebble finish. They had to come out and patch the pebble and they did a horrible job - there was an obvious square where the patch was much darker than the surrounding area. They again came out and fixed it, now you can't tell it was ever rusted or patched.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.