4 days in

HOF

Apr 25, 2013
Hello everyone. I've been reading up on this site since last year (1st full summer with pool), and it's been very helpful. I opened my pool this past Sunday to find a swamp like many others. Tested water with Taylor K-2006 and came up with the following: FC-0, TA-90, PH-7.0, CYA- Less than 30 (could still see black dot after tube was filled) I raised PH to 7.2, and put enough stabilizer in a sock to raise CYA by 20ppm, and placed in the skimmer. I then began the shock process by raising and holding FC between 15 & 20 ppm. I also added DE to my sand filter as that seemed to help a lot last year. So here is my question: When fighting algae, is it normal to notice the clarity of your water improving faster than the change in color? It's only been 4 days, but I can almost see the bottom of my entire pool, while the color has barely changed. It did go from dark swamp green, to a bright green, but the daily visual improvement has been in clarity and not so much color. Just curious because everyone else seems to see color change from green to grayish white, then start to clear. Thanks!

:nopic:

Alrighty, I got that out of the way. I want to make sure you are keeping an eye on the PSI of your filter with the DE in it. That will usually go up fast when you have algae. The DE is probably doing a great job cleaning out dead garbage from the water, but you still have algae that needs to be killed by shocking.

I'd give it some time it's a process. Just keep FC levels up.

From what I've seen the clarity comes before the green goes away. Your on your way. Stay on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vette said:
:nopic:

Alrighty, I got that out of the way. I want to make sure you are keeping an eye on the PSI of your filter with the DE in it. That will usually go up fast when you have algae. The DE is probably doing a great job cleaning out dead garbage from the water, but you still have algae that needs to be killed by shocking.

I'll try to post some pix soon. Yea, I add DE until my PSI increases by 1. After a day it seems to jump up another 6-7 PSI and stop. That's when I backwash it. I know it's only 4 days, and I'm sure there is a lot of work to do to kill the algae, I was just curious if anyone else had noticed the same progression.

pwrstrk said:
I'd give it some time it's a process. Just keep FC levels up.

From what I've seen the clarity comes before the green goes away. Your on your way. Stay on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.