HELP!!! Added borax to my pool & my ph is off the chart!

triplets&quads

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2008
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Please tell me I haven't messed up. I added borax to my pool using the pool calculator and I also added muriatic acid accordingly. That was 48 hours ago and my ph is still off the chart!!! I am wondering now if my MA was the correct %. I bought it at Lowe's and no where on the jug did I see a %. All I can tell you it was for cleaning concrete so my husband seems to think it would have been the higher % stuff.

I don't have my borate test strips yet so I can't check the borates. Now what should I do??? Add a lot more MA to get the ph down???

Most likely it was 15%, but there is no way to be sure and there are several other percentages available. You should add more acid until the PH is back in range. Try not to overshoot and bring the PH down too low.

I know the answer to my question now. We already had some MA in the shed. My husband bought more to put in the pool when we added the borax on Monday night. He just went to check the empty bottles to see what brand they were and he also checked the partial jug we had and they were not the same. Apparantly the jugs we added to the pool were the weaker %. I just sent him to Lowe's to pick up the higher % muriatic acid so I can get that added to the pool tonight. Now I just need to figure how much of the higher % to put in.

Thank you Jason. I looked up the brand online and it was the 15% instead of the 31%. Is it safe to assume that since I put in 3 jugs of 15% instead of 3 jugs of 31%, should I add 1 1/2 jugs of the 31% now?

Thank you jblizzle. That is what I will do as soon as my husband gets back from Lowes. I am glad they are open til 10pm. I don't think I could have slept tonight worrying about the high ph. :)

Yes, quads and triplets!! Not the same parents. Our oldest daughter had the quads and the 11 year old. She would have committed herself to an insane asylum if she had triplets too!! Our middle daughter had the triplets. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.