electric disconect

Apr 12, 2013
i have not placed my disconnect yet.

I am looking to place it on the rear of my shed since the power is being pulled from a subpanel in my shed. the disconnect will be visible from the filter ehh aprox 40-50 feet away. I have 2 circuits planned to go out to a power board.

my question is what would be my best disconnect to use for 2 circuits. I am going to be using 2 cutler hammer gfi breakers in my sub panel.

or should i put the disconnect on my power board. all my power is about 7-8 feet from pool wall

If your sub panel is in the same shed you plan on putting a disconnect why not just run a 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe straight out from your panel and call it good, not sure why you want to add another disconnect? And assuming you only need 110vac, GFCI outlets installed at the location is allot cheaper then GFCI breakers for the sub panel.

my sub is inside the shed. i was told the disconnect needs to be in view of filter. I am not sure if there is a restriction to how far away the disco can be.

I have a 1 1/4" conduit from powerboard where timer and convenience receptacle is located about 40-50 feet from shed.
I already have the gfi breakers i prefer them since everything will be covered right out the panel.

If your referring to a "means of disconnect" I've always put a weather proof box set at the 4x4 post (6' from pool I believe?)and put a GFCI protected switch in one and the receptacle in the other.And for the receptacle I would use an "in use weather proof cover" The switch acts as your "means of disconnect"

i have my timer out on a board with 2 receptacles 1 twist lock for pump with in use cover other for a swg kit with a in use cover.

I also have a convenience receptacle with in use cover.

on my conduit i have it coming up from ground in a 6x6 box used as splice point.

perhaps a picture of what i have would help explain. i was told a disconnect must be in view of filter to remove power so sinc emy sub panel is inside it wouldnt be in view so i was going to place a disconnect on rear of shed.

Do you have room on the board or right on the side of the 6x6 to just add a 2 gang or couple of single gang WP boxes with a stubbed out nipple and interrupt everything from the 6x6 box with a pair of switches ? (assuming you have 2 separate circuits)

4x4 post to left has the filter receptacle 20amp twistlock in use cover is on.

my convenience reptical was planned to go to the right of board

i can i use outdoor switches to just shut them all down??

i just want to be on point for code

also the board is getting changed out for 2 4x4 legs not the galvanized steel posts used

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 105
so are you saying using 2 outdoor 20amp switches would suffice code?

i could use something like this all the way to the right in a double box

7445778.jpg

As far as the code in your local area you would be best to double check, just because the NEC may state the required way the local inspector or separate town code may interpreted it a completely different way, most information is usually easily asked over the phone how they expect it or interpret it...I've never had a issue with using switches as a means of disconnect, same though process as a dishwasher switch on the counter-top to disconnect power before servicing the dishwasher....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ckaminski74 said:
so are you saying using 2 outdoor 20amp switches would suffice code?

i could use something like this all the way to the right in a double box

7445778.jpg

Thats exactly what I've used, do that and your good to go :party: , If it were me I would wire the switches in AFTER your time clock so the timer always has power to it and you dont have to worry about the dial falling behind here and there as you shut the pump down ...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.