Have a leak

Apr 22, 2013
Virginia Beach
I was running my filter for about 2-3 days and everything was fine. Shut it off and turned it on today and it sounded like a loose belt. The "squealing" stopped after about a minute. After that the pump started to leak but I could not see where. Shut the pump off and the primer lost pressure and the water level in it went down, any ideas??

Most likely the seal leaking and water got to the bearing and it's toast. You can try replacing the seal and bearing or you cna replace the seal and motor, or you CAN replace the entire pump. Depending on your level if handyness I'd go for a new 2-speed motor and a seal kit.

pump is only a few years old and does running dry mean no water in the pump? if so this has not been happening. I inspected the pump more, after I turn the filter off the pump releases about 1/2 the water back to the pool. I am going to try and find the leak in the morning, and possibly replace all gaskets/seals on pump. what worries me is the noise it has been making, any suggestions?

I have looks every place and cant find the leaks of water or air on the pump or filter. It looks like the water may be coming from under the pump.. I am going jto try and clean all rings and gaskets today. When doing this I am going to turn off the breaker for power also close off the valve to the pump, anything else I should do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That web site worked out great.. my next question is should I get the same pump or something energy efficient? Current pump is the Hayward - SKU #: SP2610X15 . Are tax kick backs around for energy efficent pumps? Also how often do pool pumps need to be replaced? Some people say they have never replaced them some say every few years.. thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.