Pool w/ house - not opened 2 yrs - trying to clear H2O

Apr 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I have been reading quite a bit on this site. We have just purchased a house and it has an in-ground pool. Approx. 18 x 38 Grecian - I estimate at around 26,000 gal.

The pool was not opened for at least 2+ years. I have been constantly scooping leaves / debris out of the pool and am getting little material in the pool rake (finally :roll: ). By following the instructions I have read here, I have the pool from a green swamp to a light brownish water. I have gone from barely able to see one step to being able to see outline of the third (bottom) step, but seem to be stuck there. Plus, I am now getting a white foam on the surface of the water & each morning for the last couple of days have scooped foam out of my baskets along with the leaves.

Changed filter sand, and have been adding bleach by the truck load trying to get chlorine to stay in the pool. I have currently added close to 65 gal. CYA was originally 0, but I have gotten that to about 25ppm (just added 4# 48 hours ago so may go up slightly still). Also, purchased the [Edit: jjparrish: to correct name of kit]TF-100 after reading good reviews - GREAT KIT!

Numbers as of today are:
FC - 28.5 (got a little carried away - but rain tonight should lower it)
CA - 0
TC - 28.5
pH - 7.5
T/A - 220
CH - 200
CYA - 25

Finally, a month ago I added some algecide, and I have also tried adding HTH Clarifier to no avail. I would apprciate any help on getting this water clear, so I can see what the condition of the pool is - the filter is old, but the pump and liner are fairly new (3-4 years). I have also been using 3" tabs (HTH - Dual Action) to help keep at least some chlorine in the pool during the day (baskets and floater).

Thank you in advance.

Cool,

My guess is that you have allowed your chlorine to slip too low from time to time which allows the algae to regroup and fight back.

Test your chlorine at least twice each day (4 times is even better) and each time add enough to bring it back up to 20-25ppm.

The secret to clearing your pool is to HOLD THE CHLORINE AT HIGH LEVELS until the pool is clear. Run the pump 24/7. backwash/clean as needed and the pool will clear.

Remember, it's been green for 2+ years so it will take a while for it to get back clear but if you'll keep the chlorine up, the water will soon sparkle

Skip adding anything else. They are a waste of your time and money...your pool needs chlorine.

Attachments

• IMG03349-20130618-1758.jpg
    IMG03349-20130618-1758.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 5
Have you measured your chlorine loss overnight? You will lose noticeably more than half of your chlorine over the course of a sunny day. That is normal. If there is algae you will also lose chlorine overnight.

I see two possibilities. You might still have algae, as duraleigh suggests, or there might be a problem with your filter. Algae is more likely but it is still worth checking the overnight FC loss to know for sure.

Thanks for the input guys. I have only had the pool around 15ppm chlorine (guess-timate) my prior test kit couldn't read past 10ppm. Now that I have a good test kit - I am getting more accurate results. I will keep the chlorine up and report back.

PS - Any idea on what the white foam is? It is gone now, but seems to come and go - I am trying to figure out what the trigger is thats makes it foam.

Attachments

• IMG03357-20130619-1016.jpg
    IMG03357-20130619-1016.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG03358-20130619-1016.jpg
    IMG03358-20130619-1016.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 11
As the various organic materials in the pool are broken down by chlorine you get different intermediate breakdown products. Some of these can cause foaming. Yet more chlorine will break them down further and the foaming will stop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.